Mel Tucker denied appeal of MSU sexual harassment investigation

<p>Head Coach Mel Tucker before the game against Maryland on Nov. 13, 2021, at the Spartan Stadium.</p>

Head Coach Mel Tucker before the game against Maryland on Nov. 13, 2021, at the Spartan Stadium.

Former MSU head football coach Mel Tucker has been denied his appeal of the university’s findings that he sexually harassed and exploited rape survivor and advocate Brenda Tracy, officially ending the university's nearly 13-month sexual harassment investigation of Tucker. 

An outside attorney hired by MSU denied Tucker’s appeal in a 24-page report issued Wednesday.

“Based on the facts outlined in the record, the (Resolution Officer) had a reasonable basis for each of the challenged findings,” wrote Courtney Bullard, a Tennessee-based attorney hired by MSU to review Tucker’s appeal. "The RO’s Decision is upheld. This decision is final.” 

In the decision, Bullard rejected Tucker’s claim that outside investigator Rebecca Beidlinger and Resolution Officer Amanda Norris Ames exhibited bias against him, concluding that both parties had been treated fairly. 

Additionally, Bullard rejected Tucker’s claim that there was no evidence of unwanted sexual conduct, upholding the resolution officer’s decision as “not arbitrary and capricious” for three separate instances of unwanted sexual conduct. 

Tucker was suspended and then fired by MSU in September after Tracy came forward with accusations of Tucker's sexual harassment. The university argued that Tucker’s admitted interaction with Tracy brought “public disrespect, contempt, and ridicule upon the university,” constituting a breach of his contract.

University leaders will now determine any sanctions to issue Tucker. Despite being terminated, Tucker can still be banned from stepping foot on campus, future employment at MSU or participating in school activities, according to USA Today

In an emailed statement, university spokesperson Emily Guerrant said the decision marks the conclusion of MSU’s process regarding Tucker. 

“The recently concluded appeal regarding the complaint against Mr. Tucker confirms a violation of the university’s Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct and Title IX Policy," Guerrant said. "MSU’s process is now completed. The university is continuing its commitment to fostering a culture of safety within our community. That commitment includes supporting those who have experienced relationship violence or sexual misconduct, safeguarding privacy, and ensuring a fair process.”

Share and discuss “Mel Tucker denied appeal of MSU sexual harassment investigation ” on social media.