Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Day of service, remembrance gathering planned for one-year anniversary of MSU shooting

Flowers rest at the foot of the Rock on Farm Lane on Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2023 - two days after the mass shooting in Michigan State University’s north campus. Memorials have spread across campus in honor of Brian Fraser, Alexandria Verner and Arielle Anderson, the three killed on Feb. 13.

As the one-year anniversary of the Feb. 13 shooting on MSU’s campus approaches, the university announced plans regarding remembrance events that will take place on the anniversary

In a campus-wide email on Friday, Interim President Teresa Woodruff said planning underway, led by committees including students, staff and faculty, will aim to “provide spaces and time for individualized reactions and experiences.” Participation at any of the remembrance events, she added, will be entirely optional.

The email states that most courses will not be held on Feb. 13 of this year, although the university will remain open including dining halls, the MSU library and other services meant to “support students and our community.”

Plans for the anniversary include a day of service organized by the Associated Students of MSU in collaboration with the Center for Community Engaged Learning, an evening gathering to be held near the Spartan Statue north of Demonstration Hall and additional “reflective spaces” that will be set up across campus with counseling services available at each location

There will be counseling staff available at each planned event, though Woodruff noted that the university will be using outside counselors "to ensure MSU staff can spend this day as they choose." 

Additional guidelines have been posted to help instructors handle the one-year mark of the shooting with respect to their students and how they may have been affected

The email also states that the memorial bench, donated last April by ASMSU, will be installed on a small plaza near Berkey Hall along with other landscaping before spring graduation.

Woodruff also provided an update on efforts to create a permanent memorial on campus. She said the Feb. 13 Permanent Memorial Planning Committee will seek input from the community through a community survey this winter. There will also be engagement sessions this spring, where the feedback received will be used "to create a request for artist proposals."

Further details about the events and how to provide input for memorial plans will be shared soon, according to the email.

"It is my hope that members of our community spend time commemorating Feb. 13, 2023, wherever and however it feels most meaningful for you," Woodruff said

Share and discuss “Day of service, remembrance gathering planned for one-year anniversary of MSU shooting” on social media.