MSU basketball freshman Jeremy Fears Jr. shot in his hometown, undergoes surgery for non-life-threatening injuries

<p>Michigan State University freshman guard Jeremy Fears Jr. (1) walking out after the game against Alcorn State University at the Breslin Center on Nov. 19, 2023.</p>

Michigan State University freshman guard Jeremy Fears Jr. (1) walking out after the game against Alcorn State University at the Breslin Center on Nov. 19, 2023.

Michigan State basketball’s Jeremy Fears Jr. was shot in the leg late Friday/early Saturday and underwent surgery, the team announced Saturday afternoon

The shooting occurred near Joliet, Illinois, the freshman guard’s hometown. The injury is not considered life-threatening

“Jeremy underwent surgery this morning and is resting comfortably,” head basketball coach Tom Izzo said in a statement. “While there is much we still don’t know, my focus is supporting Jeremy on his road to recovery.”

Fears Jr. is averaging 3.5 points and 3.3 assists per game for the Spartans this season, recording a career-best 10 assists against Stony Brook on Thursday before heading home for Christmas break.

Following the announcement from the team, Fears posted an update to his Instagram story himself.

"Minor setback we gone be good," Fears wrote

Later Saturday afternoon, the Joliet Police Department released a statement on an early morning shooting that, according to WJOL News, involved Fears and one other victim—both of whom are stable. 

"Upon arrival, Officers located a 19-year-old female who had sustained a gunshot wound to the pelvis and an 18-year-old male with a gunshot wound to the left thigh," the Joliet Police Department said in the statement. "A preliminary investigation of this shooting determined that both victims were inside the residence with others at which time it is believed that a male suspect armed with a handgun entered the residence through the front door and began firing inside the residence, striking both victims. The suspect then ran from the residence."

The release said that the suspect has not yet been taken into custody and the motive and intended target of the shooting are still unclear but under investigation

Share and discuss “MSU basketball freshman Jeremy Fears Jr. shot in his hometown, undergoes surgery for non-life-threatening injuries” on social media.