‘Gotta get results’: Reeling MSU men’s basketball to battle No. 6 Baylor in Detroit

<p>Michigan State University mens basketball team giving each other a pep talk before the game against Alcorn State University on Nov. 19, 2023. </p>

Michigan State University mens basketball team giving each other a pep talk before the game against Alcorn State University on Nov. 19, 2023.

One month ago, Michigan State’s men’s basketball team was ranked preseason No. 4 in the nation and considered by many a National Championship contender. A ‘Phoenix 2024’ Final Four banner hung in the Spartans’ weight room all summer in.

Now, sitting below .500 and 0-2 in conference play midway through December, it would be an understatement to say the Spartans have their work cut out for them if they want to fulfill such aspirations.

Ahead of a Saturday matinee matchup with No. 6 Baylor at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, head coach Tom Izzo said neither he nor his team are panicking. But they know they need to start picking up quality wins, starting with a “big-time win” against the Bears, Izzo said.

“A great part about coaching is it’s like big businesses,” Izzo said. “There is a bottom line, and the bottom line is results. You gotta get results.”

After dropping non-conference games versus James Madison, Duke and Arizona due to poor shooting stretches, the Spartans’ primary concern was inside the paint during their Big Ten losses to Wisconsin and Nebraska. In both outings, MSU’s big men struggled to hold their own on the glass and defend the post. 

Izzo said he was disappointed with the way the bigs played, particularly against the Huskers, who seemed to physically impose their will on the Spartans. That’s a rare occurrence for MSU under Izzo. Things don’t get any easier for the Spartans frontcourt, either – it’s responsible on Saturday for containing the 7-foot, 235-pound frame of Baylor freshman center Yves Missi, who’s averaging 10 points and six rebounds per game. 

Outside of Missi, this year’s Bears squad is guard-centric. Freshman guard sensation Ja’Kobe Walter leads the team with nearly 15 points per game, while his supporting cast in the backcourt features double-digit scorers in RayJ Dennis and Langston Love

Forward Jalen Bridges, shooting 44 percent from three on the year, is an undersized 4-man who stretches and spaces the floor for Baylor, allowing its guards to penetrate and facilitate off the drive. There’s no doubt that the performance of MSU forward Malik Hall will play a huge factor on Saturday; Hall’s worked through injuries, illness and rough shooting patches, but has emerged as one of the only constants in MSU’s rotation through nine games. Matched up with Bridges, he’ll have to continue to produce on both ends if the Spartans want to play their best basketball.

Given the Spartans’ interior deficiencies thus far, the looming question is whether or not Izzo opts to allot more minutes for Xavier Booker, MSU’s five-star stretch forward who has yet to be given a role in the rotation. The 6-foot-11 freshman has all the skills necessary to contribute, Izzo said, but needs to improve his physique and intensity.

“He’s been great. He’s just got a ways to go,” Izzo said. “He’s got to get the motor going; he’s got to get his strength going. He’s got to learn what it’s like to play at this level.”

Izzo has consistently harped on Booker’s need for more experience and time to grow, a process that can be expedited by letting him find his way while on the court. However, with the Spartans’ usual non-conference gauntlet, Izzo said it’s been difficult to carve out minutes for him.

“We’ve always wanted to play a tough schedule, but we haven’t gotten many breaks to get the Bookers in there like some of these teams have,” Izzo said.

The best version of this MSU team would see Booker in more of a spot-up shooting role, similar to the one played by Joey Hauser a season ago. The Spartans need all the perimeter shooters they can get. 

The array of problems for MSU through nine games – three-point shooting, free-throw shooting, rebounding and tempo – doesn’t include anything the Spartans can’t fix. Izzo said one of the downsides of focusing on his team’s offense after its early-season struggles has been decreased production on the defensive end. 

MSU’s first three losses were due to offensive lapses. Then, as its scoring output improved, its defense and rebounded, both staples under Izzo since 1995, took a backseat, as well as its pace in transition.

“I think somebody asked me the question ‘What’s your (team’s) identity?’ Our identity for 28-29 years has been defend, rebound and run,” Izzo said. “So, the running game, that’s what we gotta get back.”

Despite their recent shortcomings, the Spartans have a chance to pick up a signature win in Detroit, where they’ve played several non-conference games over the years.

“I think being at Little Caesars is great for us; great for our fans,” Izzo said. “It’s going to be, I think, a great scene.”

MSU takes on Baylor on Saturday, Dec. 16 at Little Caesars Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m.

Share and discuss “‘Gotta get results’: Reeling MSU men’s basketball to battle No. 6 Baylor in Detroit” on social media.