Final: MSU hockey pulls off fifth sweep after defeating Notre Dame 2-1

<p>Notre Dame Graduate Student Goaltender Ryan Bischel gets snowed by his own teammates during their game against Michigan State at the Munn Arena on Dec. 8, 2023. Michigan State would go on to win 5-2.</p>

Notre Dame Graduate Student Goaltender Ryan Bischel gets snowed by his own teammates during their game against Michigan State at the Munn Arena on Dec. 8, 2023. Michigan State would go on to win 5-2.

The Michigan State hockey team looked well-rested when facing off against the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame this past weekend inside Munn Ice Arena. The team was able to pull off its fifth sweep of the season Saturday night after defeating the Fighting Irish 2-1.

Michigan State football’s new head coach Jonathan Smith was in attendance at the game, and he was honored by the hockey program by dropping the ceremonial puck to start the game.

While the bright green lightsabers were flaunted around by fans for “Star Wars” night, fans also echoed throughout the arena with their go green and go white chants. 

Junior center Red Savage was able to win the first face-off for the Spartans and immediately they were able to put two shots on goal, nearly converting on both. 

In just six minutes of play, both teams continued to lay down shots back and forth, but neither were successful early on. As the shot count continued to go up early in the first period, MSU was able to land its first goal after sophomore center Karsen Dowart skated right through ND’s defense and was found by sophomore Isaac Howard to score the first goal of the night and his seventh of the season. 

The Fighting Irish were the first to have someone land inside the penalty box after a slashing call was made against graduate student Trevor Janicke. Janicke was given a two-minute minor which gave the Spartans the first power-play opportunity of the match. 

MSU’s first line nearly put another point on the board just two minutes after scoring their first goal, but the Fighting Irish were able to complete their penalty kill after a save from graduate student goaltender Ryan Bischel. 

Just over halfway through the first period, MSU had its first player land inside the box after sophomore Shoudy Tiernan was called for a two-minute minor for interference. 

ND used the power play opportunity to hold the puck in their scoring zone for nearly the entirety of the power play, but after multiple saves by freshman goaltender Trey Augustine, MSU was able to successfully kill off the penalty.

The Spartans continued to keep a steady lead over the Fighting Irish in shots on goals, but both teams continued to fire in shots from all over the ice. 

With just two minutes remaining in the first period, Red Savage attempted a slap shot that nearly was converted. Although the play did not result in any scoring, it did result in multiple scrums between the two teams. Physicality has been a big factor in this series so far as both teams continue to push and bully each other around.

The Fighting Irish nearly tied up the match with just 33 seconds remaining in the first after gaining control in their own offensive zone, but another quick save from Augustine, and ND remained scoreless to finish the first period.   

MSU got the first power play opportunity of the second period just two minutes in after ND’s senior defenseman Drew Bavaro was charged with a two-minute minor for Slashing. 

With the advantage of 5-on-4, MSU took multiple shots on goal before Red Savage was able to capitalize on the power play scoring his first goal of the night and increasing the Spartan lead to 2-0. 

Halfway through the second period, the Fighting Irish were able to create an open offensive opportunity that was once again stopped and cleared by Augustine. After Augustine made his 17th save of the night, chants of his name began to ring throughout Munn.

ND was given a power play opportunity soon after the save after another interference call was made against sophomore Joey Larson. The Spartan defense was able to hold the Fighting Irish to another scoreless power play as they continued their dominant showing in the second period. 

The rest of the second period was spent going back and forth between both teams’ offensive zones, that was until in the last 30 seconds when ND Senior Landon Slaggert found himself in a one-on-one situation with Augustine. What looked like it might be the first goal for the Fighting Irish was quickly turned into another shot on goal after defenseman Artyom Levhunov quickly recovered to help Augustine create the save. 

The Fighting Irish came out much more aggressive in the third in hopes that they could close the distance between themselves and the Spartans in the final period. However, Augustine continued to shut out the ND offense with three straight saves in a matter of one minute.

Just a little before halfway in the final period, MSU was once again put on the penalty kill after Dorwart was called for a two-minute minor for tripping. ND only had the man advantage for about a minute before ND’s Justin Janicke was called for interference to allow for 4-on-4 play. 

The 4-on-4 lasted for about 40 seconds, but as soon as MSU returned to full strength, ND’s Slaggert found himself once again in a one-on-one situation with Augustine, but this time nobody was coming to help out the goaltender. 

Slaggert made his move and attempted to go right in between Augustine’s legs but somehow Augustine was able to keep his shutout performance alive with another mind-blowing save, his 28th of the night.

The Spartans were able to maintain control of the puck whether in their offensive zone or clearing it in the neutral zone. In an attempt to make a late comeback the Fighting Irish pulled their goalie to create an advantage. 

A fight broke out in the last 40 seconds of the match after another missed shot on goal for the Fighting Irish. The fight was quickly resolved and when play resumed the Fighting Irish were able to ruin Augustine’s perfect night with a late goal to bring the score to 2-1 with fifteen seconds left. 

The Spartans were able to hold out for the last fifteen seconds as they defeated the Fighting Irish with a final score of 2-1. 

The Spartans will be heading to Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids next to face-off against the Ferris State Bulldogs. The game starts at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 28. 

Share and discuss “Final: MSU hockey pulls off fifth sweep after defeating Notre Dame 2-1” on social media.