U.S. Senator, former Michigan governor call for board chair Vassar's removal

Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) speaks to the crowd at a "Lunch and Learn" event held at Case Hall at Michigan State University on Tuesday, April 11, 2023. Stabenow discussed topics like climate change, gun violence and voting and took questions from audience members.

U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow and Former Michigan Gov. James Blanchard have joined the calls for the removal of Michigan State University Board Chair Rema Vassar. Stabenow, an MSU alumnus who represents Michigan in the U.S. Senate, said Vassar should resign immediately for the sake of the university. Blanchard called Vassar's alleged bullying an "open secret" and called for officials to stand up to their mistreatment.

"From all appearances, Chair Vassar treats Michigan State University like it’s her own private club," Blanchard said in the statement. "Her day to day meddling in the management of the university makes responsible governance more difficult than it needs to be. The taxpayers and our Spartan Nation deserve better."

MSU Trustee Brianna Scott first called for the removal of board chair Rema Vassar in a letter sent to the board Sunday night, alleging she bullied colleagues, interfered in legal disputes and attempted to keep word of her meddling out of an official report about the February campus shooting. Vassar later disputed these claims and accused Scott and two other board members of interfering with the board's work due to "personal grievances."

In the statement, Stabenow described Scott’s allegations as “extremely serious.”

"Chair Vassar has clearly lost the trust of students, faculty, alumni and many of the MSU board members,” Stabenow said. “I sincerely believe it’s in the best interest of the University and our state for her to resign from the board immediately."

She also addressed claims that Vassar refused to comply with the investigation into who allegedly leaked the identity of Brenda Tracy, the rape survivor and advocate accusing former football coach Mel Tucker of sexual harassment.

"For the MSU community to move forward, we need new leadership we can all trust," Stabenow said. "This means board members must comply with all parts of any investigations into the deeply disturbing incidents involving the university over the last few months. It's time for new leadership and a new start for a great school - Michigan State University.”

Blanchard similarly said Vassar's alleged refusal to comply in the leak investigation "raises serious questions of legal and financial liability."

Vassar said she isn’t the only trustee to not hand over their cell phone for the ongoing leak investigation, as Scott claimed. 

“To date, no Board member, including the three trustees manufacturing this distraction, has produced their phones for a forensic review, and that request is part of an ongoing discussion between the Board and Jones Day,” she wrote.

An investigation into Vassar’s alleged conduct was initiated Monday morning and will be conducted by MSU's Office of Audit, Risk and Compliance.

Share and discuss “U.S. Senator, former Michigan governor call for board chair Vassar's removal” on social media.