Friday, May 3, 2024

Tyson Walker, AJ Hoggard named to Preseason All-Big Ten team

Junior guard AJ Hoggard (11) and senior guard Tyson Walker (2) celebrate after scoring against Purdue University at Breslin Center on Jan. 16, 2023. The Spartans fell to the Boilermakers with a score of 64-63.

Michigan State men’s basketball guards Tyson Walker and A.J. Hoggard were named to the Preseason All-Big Ten Team by the media Friday, joining a group of 10 players selected for the honor. 

Headlined by Walker and Hoggard, MSU’s backcourt has shaped up to be one of the country’s best in the preseason after leading the Spartans to 21 wins and a Sweet 16 appearance in 2023. 

Walker, a graduate student and former Northeastern transfer, averaged 14.8 points per game a year ago, a team-high. He also averaged 2.9 assists and 2.5 rebounds per game en route to a Second Team All-Big Ten Conference selection by coaches and the media. In conference play, Walker shot 48 percent both from the field and from behind the arc.

Walker’s backcourt running mate Hoggard, a senior, earned an honorable mention All-Big Ten selection by the coaches and a third-team selection from the media in 2022 while averaging nearly 13 points and six assists per game. He also led the team in attempted and made free throws with 127 in 158 attempts. 

MSU will partake in Big Ten Media Day on Tuesday in Minneapolis.

Michigan State Madness, the annual event celebrating the beginning of the men’s and women’s seasons, is slated for Friday, Oct. 13 at the Breslin Center. Doors will open at 8 p.m. with free admission. 

Share and discuss “Tyson Walker, AJ Hoggard named to Preseason All-Big Ten team” on social media.