Students share expectations for Michigan vs. MSU game day, thoughts on rivalry

<p>Junior running back Kenneth Walker III finds an opening in the line during the Spartans&#x27; 37-33 win against the Wolverines on Oct. 30, 2021.</p>

Junior running back Kenneth Walker III finds an opening in the line during the Spartans' 37-33 win against the Wolverines on Oct. 30, 2021.

This weekend, Michigan State University football will host longtime rival University of Michigan in the annual, highly-anticipated fight for the Paul Bunyan Trophy. Despite online chatter about how toxic the rivalry has become, many MSU students remain relatively unconcerned.

Greg Wadell, co-host of the basketball podcast "Sleeper's Media," said in an episode that the U of M, MSU rivalry is "as heated as it has ever been."

More recently, fans of U of M and MSU alike have taken to the internet to express their views on the toxicity of the rivalry. One user posted on X that the rivalry "divides family and friends." 

Offline, however, MSU students seem to think differently.

Human biology freshman Connor Hercik said that while there are always some concerns for a big rivalry game like U of M vs. MSU, safety has also become a priority for the university and city in recent years.

“I feel like there are more and more police officers here watching out for the safety of the fans,” Hercik said.

Hercik said last year’s tunnel incident was “handled super well" and all parties in the wrong received proper punishment.

“I would probably attribute the tunnel incident last year to a bit of an externality,” social relations and policy major Eli Keckeisen said. “I don't really believe that a lot of Michigan and Michigan State fans have a great sense of animosity for each other.”

In fact, Keckeisen said, the tension is a lot lower this year due to MSU’s poor record, which currently sits at 2-4.

“I feel like if it was a closer game, the tensions might be higher," Keckeisen said.

In preparation for the game, MSU Student Life and Engagement sent an email on Wednesday urging students to “leave the rivalry on the field.”

Neuroscience sophomore Manessah Naval, a local to the East Lansing area, feels the rivalry has actually calmed down in the last five to ten years.

“Everybody's excited, but it's not as bad as it was,” she said.

Naval’s only concern was couch burning, a tradition that frequently takes place on MSU campus after big sports games and something Naval is no stranger to, having grown up in the area.

“I think when people maybe say it's gone too far, you’ve got to take it with a grain of salt,” Keckeisen said, adding that many other schools across the country have worse rivalries.

Kickoff for the game is this Saturday, Oct. 21 at 7:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “Students share expectations for Michigan vs. MSU game day, thoughts on rivalry” on social media.