Saturday, May 4, 2024

New MSU program will eliminate tuition costs for eligible students starting next year

<p>North Neighborhood of Michigan State University campus, photographed on Jan 14, 2023.</p>

North Neighborhood of Michigan State University campus, photographed on Jan 14, 2023.

Thousands of incoming undergraduate Spartans will have their tuition covered for up to eight semesters, thanks to Michigan State University’s new financial aid program, the Spartan Tuition Advantage. The program will take effect in the 2024-2025 school year.

To be eligible, students must be citizens or permanent U.S. residents, qualify for in-state tuition, be Pell Grant eligible and have a household income of $65,000 or less. The aid does not cover summer enrollment

Eligible students don’t have to apply for the program, as long as they complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, each year. Future eligibility could be impacted if FAFSA information changes

The Spartan Tuition Advantage is funded through a combination of federal, state and institutional gift aid

“The Spartan Tuition Advantage program is an underpinning of our commitment to being Michigan’s state university and helping every Michigan high school graduate see a higher-education degree at Michigan State University as an attainable goal,” Executive Director of Admissions John Ambrose said in the university statement announcing the program. “Our commitment to Michigan students is that when you choose to be a Spartan, we will equip you with the tools and resources needed to be successful. And this new financial aid package is yet another tool.” 

The program builds on MSU's decision in 2006 to cover tuition costs of in-state students with an expected family contribution of $0. MSU expects the new program to cover tuition for more than 6,000 students each year, once it is fully operational

"MSU historically has provided great financial aid packages to in-state students for over 50 years as a means to reduce the financial barriers that can stand between students and their future success through a world-class higher education degree,” Interim President Teresa Woodruff said in the statement. “The Spartan Tuition Advantage program is an exciting extension of our pledge to the success of future Spartans leaners.” 

Share and discuss “New MSU program will eliminate tuition costs for eligible students starting next year ” on social media.