Friday, May 3, 2024

MSU women’s Soccer rises in the United Coaches Poll after rivalry upset, Dalton's performance earns honors

<p>MSU senior midfielder Regan Dalton (5) chases Pennsylvania State University Sophomore forward Amelia White (7) at DeMartin Soccer Stadium on Oct. 1, 2023.</p>

MSU senior midfielder Regan Dalton (5) chases Pennsylvania State University Sophomore forward Amelia White (7) at DeMartin Soccer Stadium on Oct. 1, 2023.

MSU’s Women’s soccer team moved up to No. 20 in the United Coaches Poll and No. 17 in the Top-Drawer National Ranking following a 3-2 upset victory over rival Michigan Saturday night.

The victory against the then-No. 14-ranked Wolverines marked MSU’s second win in Ann Arbor since 1994. The Spartans have now recorded back-to-back wins against Michigan for the first time in program history

Saturday was the Spartan's first win against a ranked opponent this season–they led in total shots, shots on goal and corner kicks. Spartan junior forward Jordyn Wickes tallied two of MSU’s three goals with the other coming from senior midfielder Gabby Mueller

A stellar performance on the back end from senior midfielder Regan Dalton was enough to earn her first career Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week award with two assists against Michigan. The honor was the first for the Spartans since graduate student Raegan Cox in 2022

Another first for Dalton, she was named to the Top-Drawer National Team of the Week.

Now 9-3-2 on the season and 4-1-1 in conference play, MSU stands in fourth place in the Big Ten, tied with Indiana and Wisconsin with 13 points. Penn State comfortably resides in first place, undefeated in conference play with 16 points.

The Spartans will finish off a three-game road stretch with games at Indiana and Rutgers before coming home to finish off the regular season in contests with Illinois and Iowa

Share and discuss “MSU women’s Soccer rises in the United Coaches Poll after rivalry upset, Dalton's performance earns honors ” on social media.