Michigan State Transfer Portal: OL Keyshawn Blackstock is the latest transfer portal entry

<p>The MSU football team runs onto the field before the start of the game against Richmond at Spartan Stadium on Sept. 9, 2023. The Spartans ultimately defeated the Spiders 45-14.</p>

The MSU football team runs onto the field before the start of the game against Richmond at Spartan Stadium on Sept. 9, 2023. The Spartans ultimately defeated the Spiders 45-14.

It has been a season of chaos so far for the Michigan State Football team through seven games. The team may be filled with even more disarray in the coming weeks.

MSU athletic director Alan Haller officially fired Mel Tucker as head coach on Sept. 27. The announcement came following an ongoing Title IX investigation involving Tucker. 

With the official firing of Tucker in late September, a 30 day transfer portal window opened for all players on the team. They will be able to decide to stay with the program or transfer elsewhere to another school with the departure of Tucker.

Entering the portal allows a player to explore their options at other schools while still retaining the chance to return back to Michigan State if they aren't satisfied with their options.

Interim head coach Harlon Barnett has tried to reestablish the culture the past few weeks, however, there is uncertainty as to who is expected to transfer out and which players will remain.

Who’s out:

RB Jordon Simmons

Michigan State > ?

During his weekly press conference on Oct. 9, interim Head Coach Harlon Barnett confirmed running back Jordon Simmons made the decision to enter the transfer portal. Simmons had been with the team since 2020, playing a role in MSU's upset victory over Michigan in 2020 as the starting running back. However, with the transfers of Kenneth Walker III in 2021, Jalen Berger in 2022 and Nathan Carter in 2023, Simmons fell down the depth chart and could not make his way back up.

Simmons finishes his MSU tenure with 520 total rushing yards on 137 carries. His only touchdown came through the air.

LS Hank Pepper

Michigan State > ?

Long snapper Hank Pepper has entered the transfer portal, a team spokesman confirmed Wednesday, Oct. 18. The junior originally joined the team in December of 2020, ranked as the No. 1 long snapper in the country by 247Sports. Pepper played in all 13 games of his first season, and had a total of 131 special teams snaps. In his sophomore year, he started as a long snapper for the first five games, but was out the last seven with an injury.

In total, Pepper played in 18 career games for the Spartans before putting his name in the transfer portal. 

Defensive back Justin White has also been away from the team since Sept. 30, but the red shirt senior has yet to confirm his transfer intentions.

OL Keyshawn Blackstock

Michigan State > ?

Before coming to Michigan State in January of this year, Blackstock was rated as the number one Junior College offensive line prospect in the country according to 247Sports. He came off the bench in all four of his 2023 appearances with the Spartans. If he decides to take a redshirt this year, he will have two years of eligibility remaining. 

Share and discuss “Michigan State Transfer Portal: OL Keyshawn Blackstock is the latest transfer portal entry ” on social media.