Friday, May 3, 2024

MSU Men’s Soccer jump to No. 13 in United Soccer Coaches ranking

Michigan State University’s Men’s soccer team lined up before the game against Indiana University at DeMartin Soccer Field on Sept. 22, 2023.

The Michigan State Men’s Soccer team now holds the No. 13 spot in the United Soccer Coaches poll and No. 12 in the Top Drawer Soccer rankings as the Spartans reap the rewards of what has been an impressive start to their season. The Spartans nine spot rise comes off the back of their 2-1 win against Indiana this past Friday.

The Spartans marquee win remains their 1-0 victory against No. 10 Notre Dame which has been the catalyst to their rise up the rankings. The victory in South Bend was determined in the 35th minute by junior midfielder Sean Kerrigan, who now after the Indiana game, holds three match winners to his name.

Along with the team's key wins against Indiana and Notre Dame, the Spartans have collected wins against Bowling Green (3-0), Army (2-1) and Dayton (1-0). Along with draws against Villanova (1-1) and Big Ten competitors Rutgers (1-1) to amass an undefeated record of 4-0-2 so far. 

Credit for the success can be shared all around, with the Spartans currently having eight different goal scorers on the season. Highlighting what has been both a potent and fluid offensive attack. While the backline have been consistent and solid conceding only two goals in the past four matches.

The rise in rankings marks the highest ranking the Spartan’s have held in the United Soccer Coaches rankings since 2015 when the Spartans were ranked ninth in the pre-season poll.

The Spartans are now preparing to defend their ranking Tuesday night against Oakland University at 7 p.m. ET. Streaming is available on Big Ten Plus.

Share and discuss “MSU Men’s Soccer jump to No. 13 in United Soccer Coaches ranking” on social media.