Wednesday, May 1, 2024

MSU board approves amendment allowing game-day alcohol sales

<p>MSU fans cheer for the first game of the season at Spartan Stadium on Sept. 2, 2022. The Spartans beat the Broncos with a score of 35-13. </p>

MSU fans cheer for the first game of the season at Spartan Stadium on Sept. 2, 2022. The Spartans beat the Broncos with a score of 35-13.

Michigan State University’s Board of Trustees amended a campus ordinance Wednesday to allow for newly-legal stadium alcohol sales during games.

The university will be now able to apply for licenses with the state’s Liquor Control Commission.

The amendment broadly allows sales at all of MSU’s major sports facilities, but specifically prompts the administration to pursue licenses for this fall’s home football games against Washington on Sept. 16, Maryland on Sept. 23, the University of Michigan on Oct. 21 and Nebraska on Nov. 4. Sales at those games would begin 60 minutes before kickoff and end 10 minutes of playing time after halftime. 

The amendment passed unanimously and with no discussion from the board.

Athletic director Alan Haller applauded the decision in an email to season ticket holders Wednesday, writing, "simultaneously employing measures that support safe, responsible, and legal consumption of alcohol can reduce the risk of binge drinking or overconsumption before a game."

While the amendment only specifically addresses sales during football games at Spartan Stadium, a university press release says future venues could include the Breslin Students Events Center, Munn Ice Arena and Old College Field.

“The actions we are taking today create a better fan experience for Spartans and those visiting our athletic venues,” board chair Rema Vassar said in the release. “Amending our alcoholic beverage ordinance to limit alcohol-related incidents creates a more welcoming and enjoyable atmosphere for everyone.

MSU expects to generate $250,000 in additional revenue during each game that alcohol is served, Vice President for Student Life and Engagement Vennie Gore said Wednesday.

The law that opened the door for MSU’s proposed alcohol sales passed with broad bipartisan support, though it was opposed by some drunk driving advocacy groups and State Senator Sam Singh, who represents MSU and East Lansing.

After he voted against the law, Singh told The State News that constituents living near campus told him they were worried if drinking lasted through the game — instead of ending during tailgates before — "drunken activity" would increase in local neighborhoods after games.

MSU officials publicly supported the law through much of the legislative process, telling legislators that it would help the university compete with the stadium experiences at 11 other Big Ten universities in states where legislation has previously allowed the sale of alcohol at games.

Many of those institutions experienced major drops in game-day arrests and alcohol related incidents after they began legally selling alcohol in their stadiums, interim MSU president Teresa Woodruff said Wednesday.

The university also announced a new game-day alert system to keep stadium-goers informed of safety information and delays. Anyone can sign up by texting SPARTANFB23 to 888777.

Share and discuss “MSU board approves amendment allowing game-day alcohol sales” on social media.