Big Ten approves 2024 additions of Oregon, Washington

Ducks inside linebacker Troy Dye (35) sacks Spartans QB Brian Lewerke (14). Oregon Ducks Football takes on Michigan State University at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, CA. on Dec. 31, 2018. (Ben Green/Emerald)

Friday afternoon, The Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors voted to admit the University of Oregon and the University of Washington to the Big Ten Conference, effective Aug. 2, 2024.

Oregon and Washington will join the University of Southern California and University of California, Los Angeles in their departure of the Pacific-12 Conference for the 2024 season and beyond.

“Accepting membership into the Big 10 Conference is a transformational opportunity for the University of Oregon to change the short and long-term trajectory of our university and athletics department,” UO Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Rob Mullens said in a statement. “The stability and exposure of joining the Big Ten is of great benefit to the University of Oregon, and we are grateful to the Big Ten presidents and chancellors for accepting our application to join the conference. We look forward to the opportunity for our student-athletes to compete in this conference, which includes many of the best programs in the nation in every sport.”

University of Washington President Ana Mari Cauce voiced similar sentiments in a statement put out by Big Ten.

“The Big Ten is a thriving conference with strong athletic and academic traditions, and we are excited and confident about competing at the highest level on a national stage,” Cauce said. “My top priority must be to do what is best for our student-athletes and our University, and this move will help ensure a strong future for our athletics program.”

Share and discuss “Big Ten approves 2024 additions of Oregon, Washington” on social media.