Wednesday, May 1, 2024

J.D. Duplain, Cal Halady and Tre Mosley discuss injuries, season expectations at 2023 Big Ten Media Day

<p>Redshirt junior wide receiver Tre Mosley (17) completes a catch and scores a touchdown during game against Western Michigan on Sept. 2, 2022. The Spartans beat the Broncos with a score of 35-13.&nbsp;</p>

Redshirt junior wide receiver Tre Mosley (17) completes a catch and scores a touchdown during game against Western Michigan on Sept. 2, 2022. The Spartans beat the Broncos with a score of 35-13. 

After a very rocky 2022 season ending in no bowl game and a major step back from 2021, player leaders redshirt senior offensive lineman J.D. Duplain, redshirt junior linebacker Cal Halady and redshirt senior wide receiver Tre Mosley spoke about the injuries that hammered the team last season, among other topics, during day one of Big Ten Media Days on Wednesday afternoon. 

Injuries last season especially disconnected the defense and offensive line. MSU had nearly 27 different starters on the defensive side of the ball, while the offensive line only had a couple of fresh bodies last spring.

With considerably stronger numbers this year, Halady and Duplain expect performances from their units to be at a much higher level than they were last season, which resulted in only five wins. 

“Last year was tough for sure," Haladay said. “Because guys are gonna kind of be thrown into the fire, but I think this year will benefit them greatly because those are snaps under their belt that they wouldn't have gotten necessarily if those guys didn't get hurt. There are going to be more veterans that are gonna be on our team, just giving us more depth and I think that'll just help us make the competition a little bit better.” 

Duplain said having that depth will be "huge."

“It starts from practice, being able to service ourselves and individual drills and getting good reps and then having guys that can compete against each other," Duplain said. "Iron sharpens iron, so having those guys can step in and if someone goes down then they’re not that far off.” 

While injuries did not help the running back production last year, which saw a huge fall off from Kenneth Walker III’s 2021 campaign, Duplain said the newfound depth on the line, returning leading rusher redshirt junior running back Jalen Burger and new faces in the room should improve the run game.

“We brought in guys like Mangham and Nate Carter,” Duplain said. “I think we got a really talented running back room. We're getting on page with them, building our relationship with them each day doing things outside of football. I'm really excited to see how they perform and I think they are a very special group.” 

After recording seven touchdowns over two seasons, Mosley is ready to lead a receiving corps that lost their two biggest contributors in 2023 - second round NFL Draft pick Jayden Reed and transfer Keon Coleman.

The offense will look completely different this year, with Mosley leading the group and a new quarterback in either redshirt junior Noah Kim or redshirt sophomore Katin Houser. Mosley said while both players are extremely talented, they each offer different skill sets to the system. 

“With Noah, he's a little more versatile in terms of being able to run, Mosley said. “Katin has a bigger body and they both have great arm arm talent, it’s tremendous. And they're both capable of getting the job done so either way we go, we've got a leader at the quarterback spot.” 

Preseason camp is slated to begin next Wednesday as the regular season inches closer and closer and the first matchup coming at home against Central Michigan on September 1st.

Share and discuss “J.D. Duplain, Cal Halady and Tre Mosley discuss injuries, season expectations at 2023 Big Ten Media Day” on social media.