Stacey Rippetoe announced as new MSU rowing coach

<p>Emily Regan, fifth from right, helped the U.S. Rowing women's eight crew capture its tenth straight gold medal at the 2015 World Rowing Championships in Aiguebelette, France. USRowing/Allison Frederick</p>

Emily Regan, fifth from right, helped the U.S. Rowing women's eight crew capture its tenth straight gold medal at the 2015 World Rowing Championships in Aiguebelette, France. USRowing/Allison Frederick

Michigan State rowing announced the hiring of Stacey Rippetoe as their fourth ever head coach Thursday afternoon.

Rippetoe returns to MSU after serving as a recruiting coordinator from 2000-2008. She was previously named head coach at Boston University after her tenure with MSU, later moving to Rhode Island to work in a similar position.

Athletic Director Alan Haller emphasized her work on building winning environments in a press release.

“Most recently, she has been the recruiting coordinator at Rhode Island, where she has been involved in building their championship culture,” Haller said. “Obviously, her time at Michigan State gives her some institutional knowledge, and she knows the values that we hold important. She was a large part of the most successful era of Spartan rowing as well, and her ties to both our local community and our alumni base give her a head start in establishing relationships upon her return."

Rippetoe saw great success during her years with the Spartans as her teams made seven NCAA Championship regattas, finishing a program-best sixth in 2006, 2008 and 2011. MSU failed to finish in the top three at the Big Ten Championships just once during her time and won Big Ten Championships in 2005 and 2008. She also was a three time conference coach of the year at Boston University, qualifying for the NCAA Championships in 2013 and 2014

The New Jersey native also made an impact outside of sports during her time at Michigan State as she helped launch the “We Can Row” program in 2002. “We Can Row" teaches breast cancer survivors how to row and is also a study to measure the value of exercise in breast cancer survivors.

Share and discuss “Stacey Rippetoe announced as new MSU rowing coach” on social media.