Punter Bryce Baringer, DB Ameer Speed drafted by New England in sixth round of the 2023 NFL Draft

<p>Michigan State Spartans senior punter Bryce Baringer in the team&#x27;s match-up against the Michigan Wolverines. Oct. 30, 2021.  </p>

Michigan State Spartans senior punter Bryce Baringer in the team's match-up against the Michigan Wolverines. Oct. 30, 2021.

The New England Patriots selected sixth-year senior punter Bryce Baringer with the No. 192 overall pick and sixth-year defensive back Ameer Speed with the No. 214 pick in the sixth round of the 2023 NFL Draft. 

Baringer is the second Michigan State player drafted this year, as redshirt senior wide receiver Jayden Reed was drafted by the Green Packers Friday evening in the second round of the draft. Lauded by most analysts as the No. 1 punter in the draft, Baringer was the first of his position group to be selected. 

Baringer garnered multiple accolades in his time in East Lansing. He was a consensus First-Team All American in 2022, a Ray Guy Award finalist, Big Ten Punter of the Year and holds the school record for career average yards per punt (46) and single season average (49 in 2022). That 49-yard per game punting average in 2022 led the country and is the second best number in Big Ten history and sixth in FBS history. 

Baringer left MSU with 7,406 punting yards and 64 punts of over 50 yards. He's the first Spartan punter since 2007 to be selected in the NFL Draft.

Speed transferred to Michigan State from Georgia this season. He made 11 starts at cornerback, earning 62 tackles, five pass deflections and one tackle for loss. At 6-foot-3-inches and 215 pounds, Speed's size and athletic profile garnered attention from NFL scouts.

Share and discuss “Punter Bryce Baringer, DB Ameer Speed drafted by New England in sixth round of the 2023 NFL Draft” on social media.