Sunday, April 28, 2024

University of Michigan holds vigil honoring victims and survivors of MSU shooting

University of Michigan students and Ann Arbor residents attend a vigil on Wednesday, Feb. 15, in honor of the eight MSU students who died or were hospitalized because of the mass shooting on MSU's campus Feb. 13.

The University of Michigan hosted a vigil in Ann Arbor the evening of Wednesday, Feb. 15, honoring the victims and other survivors of the tragedy that took place at MSU on Monday evening. Alumni, faculty and students alike gathered in silence as a symbol of solidarity with the MSU community.

Those in attendance had the opportunity to hear students advocate for change and have a space to express their grief. Hundreds of students lined up to write messages on a banner dedicated to MSU, the banner in question reading “Wolverines for Spartans”. Among the messages written were the following:

“I’m so heartbroken to see you like this, but you are strong and brave. We will get through this together.” 

“We are with you, always.” 

“With love, Spartans WILL.” 

“Never forgotten.”

img-9406

On the steps in front of the Diag, a central part of the UMich campus and the location where the vigil was held, the three victims were honored separately with flowers brought by students and candles in front of a sign dedicated to their memory.

Public policy senior Alyssa Donovan, who is from Oxford and had helped organize a vigil for the Oxford High School shooting last year said, “The goal of vigils specifically is for the communities to come together to mourn, and to recognize that no one actually gets through this alone. It’s a collective grief.” 

Students clung to each other for comfort during the event; hands were held, hugs were given generously and moreover, the event was a place for any and all emotions to be felt

“It can be hard to figure out how to move forward, or how to cope,” Donovan said. “Having something like this, where everyone can feel their feelings at the same time … it’s just always helpful to people.” 

The event also hosted speakers who spoke of calls to action regarding gun control laws.

March for Our Lives press associate and UMich student Mikah Rector-Brooks said they wanted to see change from the state lawmakers.

“I call upon all of our lawmakers, the governor and the state legislature, to take immediate action. Like, tomorrow," Rector-Brooks said

Amongst the action items Rector-Brooks and others advocated for, the two biggest are safe storage and universal background checks.

“We need meaningful and immediate change that will actually prevent gun violence before it happens.” Rector-Brooks said

Vigil attendees expressed fear and empathy for those close to them who attend or work at MSU, who were directly affected by the tragedy, particularly in the hours as it occurred

Rector-Brooks said they felt terrified when she learned of the shooting, while Donovan said she felt helpless.

“It was that feeling of helplessness,” Donovan said. “People that I loved were there and knowing that there’s not a damn thing I could do besides tell them I love them and hope that they’d make it out alive.” 

Prior to the vigil in Ann Arbor, early Tuesday morning, UMich's painting Rock was also repainted white with green letters that read “Spartan Strong.”

Share and discuss “University of Michigan holds vigil honoring victims and survivors of MSU shooting” on social media.