Sunday, April 28, 2024

Two dead in Dimondale shooting

<p>Michigan State Police cop cars line the streets at the 242 Community Church in Okemos after a false shooting report at Okemos High School on Feb. 7, 2023.</p>

Michigan State Police cop cars line the streets at the 242 Community Church in Okemos after a false shooting report at Okemos High School on Feb. 7, 2023.

Two Dimondale residents are dead after the village went into a shelter-in-place early Thursday morning in response to a shooting.

Michigan State Police have since lifted the shelter-in-place order and are investigating the scene on Cherry Street.

“The Village of Dimondale is mourning the loss of life in this morning’s shooting that occurred in our Village," Dimondale Manager Denis Prisk said in a statement. "Our hearts go out to the family and all of those affected by this tragedy. We extend our gratitude to our brave first responders who quickly responded to the situation, the Paramedics, Michigan State Police and the Eaton County Sheriff’s Office. The Community members should know that the Village is secure and residents are safe. This is an isolated and terrible situation.”

Michigan State Police said on Twitter there was no threat to the public as of 8:38 a.m.

Dimondale is 14 miles from Michigan State University's campus, where a gunman killed three students and left five more in critical condition Monday evening.

Share and discuss “Two dead in Dimondale shooting” on social media.