Remembering MSU students Brian Fraser, Alexandria Verner and Arielle Anderson

Students leave flowers at the foot of the Rock on Farm Lane on Feb. 14, 2023, one day after a mass shooting took place in Michigan State University's North Neighborhood.
Students leave flowers at the foot of the Rock on Farm Lane on Feb. 14, 2023, one day after a mass shooting took place in Michigan State University's North Neighborhood. —
Photo by Devin Anderson-Torrez | The State News

A mass shooting on Michigan State University's campus on Monday, Feb. 13 left three students dead and five students with critical injuries. 

Police have shared the names of the three students who died in the shooting: Alexandria Verner, Arielle Anderson and Brian Fraser. Their respective family, friends and wider community have spoken about the impact Verner, Anderson and Fraser had on those around them. 

Alexandria Verner

Alexandria Verner, from Clawson, was a junior studying biology. 

Verner graduated from Clawson High School in 2020.

A social media post from Clawson Public Schools said Verner "was a tremendous student, athlete, leader, and exemplified kindness every day of her life."

"Alex was and is incredibly loved by everyone. She was a tremendous student, athlete, leader and exemplified kindness every day of her life," Clawson Public Schools Superintendent Billy Shellenbarger wrote in an email to families in the district. 

Verner was a league MVP basketball, volleyball and all-state softball player, a social media post read.

In a post celebrating Verner during her senior year of high school, Verner said playing sports gave her the courage to be herself, stay accountable and build close relationships with others.  

Shellenbarger said Verner's parents and two siblings are grieving but felt the support of the community.

"If you knew her, you loved her and we will forever remember the lasting impact she has had on all of us," Shellenbarger said.

Arielle Anderson

Arielle Anderson, a junior at MSU, was from Grosse Pointe. She graduated from Grosse Pointe North High School. 

“We lost our precious daughter, granddaughter, sister, niece, cousin, and friend, Arielle Anderson. She means the world to us. As much as we loved her, she loved us and others even more," Anderson's family said in a statement

Anderson was passionate about helping her friends and family and assisting children. She aspired to tend to the health and welfare of others as a surgeon, her family said

"She was working diligently to graduate from Michigan State University early to achieve her goals as quickly as possible. As an Angel here on Earth, Arielle was sweet and loving with an infectious smile that was very contagious. We are absolutely devastated by this heinous act of violence upon her and many other innocent victims," the family said. 

Anderson's family appreciates the support they have received but wish to remain private as they grieve, they said.

Anderson's uncle, Timothy Davis, created a GoFundMe to raise money for her memorial and family. Donations can be made online

Arielle-Anderson.JPEG
Photo courtesy of Anderson's family.

Brian Fraser

Brian Fraser, from Grosse Pointe, was a sophomore studying business. 

Fraser was the Chapter President of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity at MSU.

"Brian was our leader, and we loved him," a Phi Delta Theta social media post read. "He cared deeply about his Phi Delt brothers, his family, Michigan State University and Phi Delta Theta. We will greatly miss Brian and mourn his death deeply as our chapter supports each other during this difficult time."

The Phi Delta Theta International Fraternity said they are in close communication with the leadership of the Michigan Beta Chapter to support them during this trying time. The Fraternity is working with MSU to connect the chapter with local campus services and opportunities to appropriately celebrate Brian’s life, a social media post read.

A memorial scholarship in Fraser's name has been created and donations can be made online

"Funds raised in Brian's memory will support the Brian Fraser Presidential Memorial Scholarship, which will help future Michigan Beta presidents fund their education. It is our hope at Phi Delta Theta and the hope of Brian's parents that each Phi who receives this scholarship will embody Brian's charismatic, contagious smile and caring, loyal energy," the campaign page reads. 

Share and discuss “Remembering MSU students Brian Fraser, Alexandria Verner and Arielle Anderson” on social media.