Sunday, April 28, 2024

Deceased suspect in MSU mass shooting identified as 43-year-old male; no MSU affiliation

Police surround Michigan State University outside the Union after an active shooting on campus on Monday, Feb. 13, 2023.

The Michigan State University shooting suspect that died by a self-inflicted gunshot wound in Lansing is a 43-year-old man, MSU interim Deputy Chief Chris Rozman confirmed in an early Tuesday morning press briefing.

The suspect was not affiliated with Michigan State University. Police do not yet know the motive for his actions on campus, Rozman said.

"We have no idea why he came to campus to do this tonight," Rozman said.

The five victims transported to Sparrow Hospital remain in critical condition at this time, Rozman said. He could not provide any specific identifying information about the victims at this time. 

MSUPD confirmed that there are eight known victims of the shooting.

All classes, both in-person and virtual, and campus activities are canceled for at least 48 hours. Designated essential employees will be notified if they should report to campus, Interim President Teresa Woodruff said in a statement.

Counseling and Psychiatric Services and the Employee Assistance Program will make programming and services available in the coming days, Woodruff said.

Share and discuss “Deceased suspect in MSU mass shooting identified as 43-year-old male; no MSU affiliation” on social media.