Ohio State's Kamil Sadlocha makes return to team after directing racial slurs at MSU's Jagger Joshua

<p>Ohio State&#x27;s Kamil Sadlocha (11) during the second of a two game series with Michigan State, held at Munn Ice Arena on Nov 11, 2022. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes 4-3.</p>

Ohio State's Kamil Sadlocha (11) during the second of a two game series with Michigan State, held at Munn Ice Arena on Nov 11, 2022. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes 4-3.

Ohio State senior forward Kamil Sadlocha has returned to the Buckeyes, a team spokesperson confirmed to The State News just days before Michigan State and Ohio State square off in Columbus.

Sadlocha has been away from the team for over a month after Michigan State senior forward Jagger Joshua announced publicly that an Ohio State player had directed racial slurs toward him in a Nov. 11 game at Munn Ice Arena. A referee overheard the slurs and assessed a 10-minute game misconduct to Sadlocha in the second period.

Joshua took to social media 10 days later when a Big Ten investigation yielded no further action.

One day later, Ohio State Athletic Director Gene Smith issued a formal apology and Sadlocha was sent away from the team indefinitely after playing two games versus Notre Dame.

“(The decision) left me just confused and frustrated with feeling like my voice doesn't matter,” Joshua said earlier that day before Sadlocha was handed his punishment. “That's one of the reasons I took to social media myself, and because obviously, the Big Ten wasn't listening to what I had to say, so I felt the need to express my feelings myself, because I just believe that, if nobody's gonna stick up for myself, then I got to.”

Michigan State is traveling to Ohio State to take on the Buckeyes Friday and Saturday night, the first time MSU and OSU have met since the incident. There is no word yet on Sadlocha’s availability for the weekend.

“First, I think Jagger has done a great job and his teammates have supported him,” Nightingale said Tuesday afternoon. “On the flip side, I think everyone makes mistakes. I don’t think it should be the end of anyone. I have faith in Ohio State and their ability to help people change and I think that’s at the end of the day what we’re here as college coaches. The biggest thing is we are trying to impact and some people make mistakes and it’s about moving on. I trust that they’ve gone through a process where they feel he’s ready to be back on the team.”

Nightingale added that he hasn’t sensed any sort of anxiety from Joshua heading into the weekend.

“Jagger’s whole deal with it was it wasn’t about any one person or any one team,” Nightingale said. “It was about the principle of how you speak to others. I don’t think he’s looking to go after him or anything like that. I think he’s moved on. He’s done a great job of just putting his head down and working and I’m proud of him for that.”

Sadlocha was voted the team’s most improved player following the 2021-22 season where he accumulated a career-high 16 points in 37 games. Before being sent away, Sadlocha played in 14 games and was on pace to reach another career-high in both goals and points.

Joshua is in the midst of a breakout season for the Spartans with career-highs already in goals and assists. His seven goals are part of a four-way tie for the team lead and his four power play goals are a team-best. He also has seven assists, totaling a tie for fourth on the team with 14 points.

The State News’ Maddy Warren contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Ohio State's Kamil Sadlocha makes return to team after directing racial slurs at MSU's Jagger Joshua” on social media.