Michigan State drops to No. 17 in latest USCHO Poll amid five-game losing skid

Freshman forward Tiernan Shoudy (13) gets up after Ohio State’s freshman defenseman Tyler Duke (5) gets put in the penalty box during game at Schottenstein Center on Jan. 7, 2023. The Spartans lost to the Buckeyes with a score of 6-0.

Michigan State lost its fourth and fifth consecutive games this weekend and has now dropped in USCHO Poll for the second week in a row. 

The Spartans fought hard Friday night at Ohio State, but could only muster one goal in a 3-1 loss. Then the next night, MSU was run off the ice in a 6-0 beatdown that saw graduate student transfer goaltender Dylan St. Cyr get pulled after the first period in favor of junior guard Pierce Charleson

Special teams has been a concern for Michigan State during the losing streak, with the penalty kill allowing a goal in five consecutive games. The power play has lost its lust too, scoring just once since the Thanksgiving series versus Miami (OH). Concurrently, Michigan State’s offense hasn’t scored more than two goals in a game in over a month. 

There was some shaking at the top of the poll after Denver split a home series with Alaska Fairbanks over the weekend. Quinnipiac has taken over the No. 1 spot, followed by Minnesota, St. Cloud State and Denver. 

Elsewhere in the Big Ten, Penn State, MSU’s opponent this weekend, stayed put at No. 5 after an idle weekend. Michigan moved up one spot to No. 6, Ohio State rose from No. 12 to No. 8 and Notre Dame fell out of the rankings after a split with Wisconsin. 

Here’s how the rest of the poll shakes out:

1. Quinnipiac

2. Minnesota

3. St. Cloud State

4. Denver

5. Penn State

6. Michigan

7. Boston University

8. Ohio State

9. Harvard

10. Merrimack

11. Connecticut

12. Western Michigan

13. Michigan Tech

14. Providence

15. Cornell

16. UMass Lowell

17. Michigan State

18. Minnesota State

19. Massachusetts

20. Boston College

Share and discuss “Michigan State drops to No. 17 in latest USCHO Poll amid five-game losing skid” on social media.