Friday, October 18, 2024

Broad Art Museum to host monthly 'SpARTan Wellness' events through spring semester

<p>Families gather outside the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum to make cyanotypes on Aug. 6, 2022. Cyanotypes are a form of art where the sun is used to create prints.</p>

Families gather outside the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum to make cyanotypes on Aug. 6, 2022. Cyanotypes are a form of art where the sun is used to create prints.

The Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum will host a series of "SpARTan Wellness" events through spring semester, free to MSU students.

Each of the monthly events, scheduled on Feb. 19, March 19 and Jan. 19 from 2-4 p.m., will focus on a particular art-based activity.

“Art is a really good space for conversation,” Broad director of education Michelle Word said. “Art is a really good space for, kind of, relaxing or trying new things.”

February’s upcoming event will feature screen printing, where students can create their own design to be printed on a variety of objects, from tote bags to t-shirts.

Students are also able to bring items from home that they’d like to print on, Word said.

March’s wellness event will focus on clay building and sculpting, "reminiscent of our Play-Doh days," Word said. April’s event will involve making cyanotypes, a unique photograph-making process that involves the sun as the weather warms up for spring. 

Word said that the goal of these events is to provide students with something other than school to focus on for a few hours.

“It lines up really well with a little bit of self-care,” Word said. “You see people there who are working on a project and are really lost in the moment.”

Registration for February’s screen printing wellness event can be found online.

Share and discuss “Broad Art Museum to host monthly 'SpARTan Wellness' events through spring semester” on social media.