Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson wins re-election bid, defeats Kristina Karamo

<p>Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson speaks at the Michigan Democratic Party Spring Endorsement Convention on April 9, 2022.</p>

Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson speaks at the Michigan Democratic Party Spring Endorsement Convention on April 9, 2022.

Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson has been re-elected, defeating Republican challenger Kristina Karamo, as called by NBC News.

With 66 percent of the vote in, Benson is projected to win, holding a 53 percent lead at the time of publication.

Benson was first elected to the position in 2018 and made national headlines when she defended the integrity of the 2020 presidential election in Michigan after former president Donald Trump attacked its legitimacy.

“Today Michigan voters showed the world that they will vote for truth over lies, facts over conspiracy theories, real results over empty promises,” Benson said in a tweet. “I’m grateful for their support and honored to be re-elected to a second term as Michigan’s Secretary of State.”

Leading up to the election, Benson had significantly out-raised Karamo. As of November 2022, Benson raised over $5 million compared to Karamo’s $1 million and polled steadily ahead of her opponent leading up to election day.

In a statement Benson said that conspiracy theorists and election deniers may refuse to acknowledge election results in Michigan and around the country.

"But know this: I will not back down," Benson said in the statement. "No matter how many threats, lies, deceit, false rhetoric or vitriol they throw at us, WE will not back down. And in the days, weeks, months, and years ahead, we are going to continue marching together."

Share and discuss “Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson wins re-election bid, defeats Kristina Karamo” on social media.