Stanley's contract remains in discussion with board

President Stanley is interviewed at the Apple Developer Academy graduation in Detroit on June 30, 2022.
President Stanley is interviewed at the Apple Developer Academy graduation in Detroit on June 30, 2022. —
Photo by Rahmya Trewern | The State News

Michigan State University President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. said he remains in discussion with the Board of Trustees about his contract with the university in a community email.

Stanley expressed gratitude to his supporters and acknowledged those who are frustrated with the situation.

"I know the uncertainty has been frustrating to many, but please know I will share more information when I am able," Stanley said in the email.

The email recapped recent university awards and events such as the university's undergraduate supply chain management program remaining number one in the country, the 2022 MSU athletics hall of fame induction and the addition of 40 new electric vehicles to the university's fleet in partnership with Consumers Energy.

Stanely also mentioned his priority in MSU's advancements in becoming a safe and welcoming university.

"We all can be proud of what MSU is accomplishing, including advancing my overarching priority of building a university that is safe, welcoming and supportive for all," Stanley said in the email.

Stanley made his first comments on his contract discussions on Sept. 13 at the university's faculty senate meeting.

He addressed the Title IX compliance form members of the board were concerned was falsified by Stanley, leading to calls for his resignation.

Stanley said he faithfully complied with the certification, reviewing all reports and signing off on the form, but was notified in June that some board members may have not complied with their part of the requirement. He also added that an internal review on the situation would be taking place.

Following the meeting, Stanley released a message to the community explaining the certification process as required by the state.

On Sept. 16, Stanley released another statement to the community about concerns over the discussions on his position as MSU's president in the media, then reiterated his contract remains in discussion with the board.

"But please know that I am most grateful to be your president and appreciate everything you have done and will continue to do to create a safer, more welcoming and more respectful campus where everyone can do their best work and achieve their full potential," Stanley said in the email.

Share and discuss “Stanley's contract remains in discussion with board” on social media.