MSU football falls outside of AP Top-25 Poll

<p>Running backs coach Effrem Reed talks to MSU players before the game against Western Michigan on Sept. 2, 2022. The Spartans beat the Broncos with a score of 35-13.&nbsp;</p>

Running backs coach Effrem Reed talks to MSU players before the game against Western Michigan on Sept. 2, 2022. The Spartans beat the Broncos with a score of 35-13. 

Photo by Audrey Richardson | The State News

After a dismal performance on the road against now-ranked #18 Washington, Michigan State football has fallen out of the Top-25

MSU did receive the most votes outside the top-25 though, garnering 91. 

Michigan State came into then-unranked Washington ranked 11th in the nation, but the defense fell apart en route to a 39-28 loss, its first of the season. 

Michael Penix Jr., who has been a formidable foe since his Indiana days, diced up the secondary for almost 400 yards and four touchdowns. The pass rush generated zero sacks after entering the game first in the country with 12 sacks as a team. 

The silver lining of the loss is that redshirt junior quarterback Payton Thorne stepped up after a rocky start to the season. He finished with over 300 yards and three touchdowns even without his top target redshirt senior Jayden Reed

The Student Media Poll Top 25 was more generous to Michigan State this week than the AP Poll, as they have the Spartans ranked 25th. 

MSU will take on Minnesota next week to try and climb back into the top 25. 

Throughout the rest of the Big Ten, Ohio State and Michigan stay put at three and four respectively, but Penn State jumped eight spots to #14 in the nation after a blowout win on the road against Auburn. 

Scroll to see the rest of the rankings for the Top 25 AP Poll:

1. Georgia

2. Alabama

3. Ohio State

4. Michigan

5. Clemson

6. Oklahoma

7. USC

8. Kentucky

9. Oklahoma State

10. Arkansas

11. Tennessee

12. North Carolina State

13. Utah

14. Penn State

15. Oregon

16. Ole Miss

17. Baylor

18. Washington

19. BYU

20. Florida

21. Wake Forest

22. Texas

23. Texas A&M

24. Pittsburgh

25. Miami (FL)

Share and discuss “MSU football falls outside of AP Top-25 Poll” on social media.