Michigan Supreme Court issues decision on abortion, voting rights ballot proposals

<p>Abortion-rights protesters stand in front of the Michigan State Capitol on June 24, 2022. Protesters gathered after the Supreme Court overturned the constitutional right to an abortion, decided by Roe v. Wade in 1973, through their decision in the Dobbs vs. Jackson WOmen&#x27;s Health Organization case.</p>

Abortion-rights protesters stand in front of the Michigan State Capitol on June 24, 2022. Protesters gathered after the Supreme Court overturned the constitutional right to an abortion, decided by Roe v. Wade in 1973, through their decision in the Dobbs vs. Jackson WOmen's Health Organization case.

The Michigan Supreme Court has issued decisions on two ballot proposals after a failure of the State Board of Canvassers to approve or deny them on Sept. 1 – Michigan voters will be seeing both abortion and voting rights on their ballots in November.

The two proposals, Promote the Vote and Reproductive Freedom for All, were appealed to the Michigan Supreme Court following deadlock votes last week in the Board of Canvassers. The Court’s decision means that both ballot proposals will face voters on Nov. 8.

The Reproductive Freedom for All proposal would amend Michigan’s constitution to replace a 1931 ban on abortions, which on Wednesday was declared unconstitutional by the state Court of Claims. While that decision prohibits the Attorney General from enforcing the ban, it will remain on the books unless voters approve the Reproductive Freedom for All proposal on Election Day.

The Promote the Vote ballot proposal would make a number of changes to Michigan’s voting rights policy, including allowing election officials to accept third party donations, letting voters join a permanent absentee ballot list and making sure that overseas ballots postmarked before Election Day and received within six days are counted.

The Reproductive Freedom for All proposal has received particular attention due to the amount of people who signed it during its petition stage – over 700,000 signatures were collected from around the state. The proposal was opposed by pro-life interest groups, who argued that formatting errors in the amendment’s text rendered it “gibberish.” 

Lawyers for MI Reproductive Freedom for All countered, saying that the proposal remained comprehensible regardless of font size or spacing between words. 

The court ruled that while the spacing issues in the proposal were present, they did not make it illegible.

Rulings on both cases were posted to the Michigan Supreme Court’s website. Opposition groups to both proposals are expected to begin campaigning against the amendments. 

Share and discuss “Michigan Supreme Court issues decision on abortion, voting rights ballot proposals” on social media.