MSU Broad college dean resigns after mandatory reporting failure

<p>Mike Burwell and Sanjay Gupta. Accounting scholarship award recipients on Wednesday April 21, 2010.</p>

Mike Burwell and Sanjay Gupta. Accounting scholarship award recipients on Wednesday April 21, 2010.

Photo by G. L. Kohuth | The State News

On Friday, Sanjay Gupta resigned from his position as Dean of Michigan State University’s Broad School of Business. He held this position for seven years before concerns regarding his failure to adhere to the University's mandatory reporting policy prompted his resignation.

MSU spokesperson Emily Guerrant said Gupta submitted his resignation to Provost Teresa Woodruff, who accepted.

"Former Dean Gupta resigned amid concerns about his leadership of the college and also a failure to report under our mandatory reporting policies," Guerrant said in a statement. "Those who take on leadership roles at MSU are expected to conduct themselves with careful and consistent attention to integrity and professionalism. This leadership transition is the result of poor administrative oversight, including a failure to adhere to our mandatory reporting guidelines."

Under MSU's Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct and Title IX Policy, mandatory reporting protocol requires all university employees – unless they are identified as a confidential source – to "promptly report incidents of sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual misconduct, stalking, and relationship violence." This includes instances that are observed or learned about in one's professional capacity, involve a member of the MSU community or that occur at an MSU-sponsored event or property.

"Our recent institutional history underscores the significance of a failure to report and the devastating impact it can have on individuals across our campus and beyond," Guerrant said in the statement. "It is incumbent upon our leaders to understand their reporting responsibilities to further a safe, welcoming space for all students, employees and guests."

Woodruff has appointed Judith Whipple as Interim Dean designee, and a national search to fill the position will begin this fall. She will continue this role in this position until her appointment for dean goes before the MSU Board of Trustees on Sept. 9.

The university hopes to seat a new dean by July 2023.

Share and discuss “MSU Broad college dean resigns after mandatory reporting failure” on social media.