Michigan State volleyball to switch home court from Jenison Fieldhouse to Breslin Center

<p>Michigan State University volleyball won the first set but the University of Maryland players quickly began to gain ground during the match on Oct.16, 2021.</p>

Michigan State University volleyball won the first set but the University of Maryland players quickly began to gain ground during the match on Oct.16, 2021.

Photo by Tyler Smith | The State News

With new head coach Leah Johnson on the sideline, Michigan State volleyball is making a major shift for its program, shifting all of its home games from Jenison Fieldhouse to the Breslin Center.

“Big Ten Volleyball is the best show in the country and moving to the Breslin Center this season will allow us to create one of the best and most unique home court advantages in the country,” Johnson said in a release. “We could not be more excited to open the new era of Spartan volleyball at Breslin this season. Playing at an electric venue like Breslin will enable us to provide an even better gameday atmosphere for our student-athletes and fans. I’d like to thank Vice President and Director of Athletics Alan Haller and Associate AD of Sport Administration Julee Burgess for their support, and to both Tom (Izzo) and Suzy (Merchant) for enthusiastically welcoming us!”

Currently, the plan to play all home games in the Breslin is tentative, likely due to the non-conference schedules for MSU men's and women's basketball being unofficial at this moment and would take precedence over volleyball in a scheduling conflict.

MSU Assistant Director of Athletic Communications Austin Overmann said practices will be split between the Breslin Center and Jenison when there are conflicts with basketball. Offices for coaches will remain in Jenison.

The Spartans last played in the Breslin in 2010, defeating rival Michigan and are 6-2 all-time when playing in the Breslin Center. Season tickets for adults will cost $70 and $56 for youth (ages 9-18) and seniors (55 and older). MSU students will still be able to attend games for free as well as kids under the age of 8.

Michigan State will open its new home on Aug. 26 in the Auto Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational and will play a total of 16 home non-conference games over the course of the season.

Share and discuss “Michigan State volleyball to switch home court from Jenison Fieldhouse to Breslin Center” on social media.