What's coming to downtown EL? Here are five places to look out for next year

The under construction site for the new MSU Federal Credit Union branch located at 311 Abbot Rd. Shot Jan. 19, 2022

With the closure of numerous businesses in downtown East Lansing during the 2021-22 school year, it's easy to be down about the venues we've lost.

Spots like Snap Pizza, Poke Lab and Blaze Pizza shut down in 2021. Less tasty businesses like Verizon and Huntington Bank also left the area, taking their services with them.

However, with vacant lots and spaces come new ventures. The State News identified five of these new businesses coming downtown that Michigan State University students and other EL residents can look forward to.

Detroit Wing Company - 431 E. Grand River Ave.

Toted as the "Best Wings in Michigan," Detroit Wing Company, or DWC, will open its new location between Panda Express and Student Book Store on Grand River Avenue.

The chain's signature comes in its 20 signature sauces formulated by founder Gus Malliaras, with flavors like Hot Garlic, Firecracker and Creole Parmesan.

DWC received the title of best wings in the state by publications like Buzzfeed, Esquire Magazine, Men's Health and MSNBC, according to the company's website.

For those hoping to enjoy these coveted wings from their home, Detroit Wing Company has confirmed services like DoorDash and Grubhub will be available.

The State News spoke to East Lansing franchise owner Bill Marchiori in February, where he elaborated on why the company chose East Lansing as their next location.

"We were fortunate that we were able to get a franchise in the location that we had always wanted in East Lansing," Marchiori said. "We’re looking forward not only to having a really nice successful Detroit Wing Company but just being part of the community."

The location plans to open its doors in summer or fall 2022.

Auntie Anne's/Jamba Juice - 103 E. Grand River Ave.

While the malls that often house Auntie Anne's and Jamba Juice may be in decline, locations of the two businesses continue to grow.

One of the newest is located in East Lansing at 103 Grand River Ave. between Noodles and Company and Landshark Bar & Grill.

Auntie Anne's already has two locations nearby in Okemos and Lansing, but this downtown spot will provide easy access for MSU students to its famous soft pretzels, pretzel nuggets and pretzel dogs.

As for Jamba Juice, East Lansing will be its sixth location in Michigan.

The location seems to be a dual space for both businesses.

Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers — 301 E. Grand River Ave.

Raising Cane’s Chicken FIngers is arguably the most anticipated addition to downtown East Lansing. The famous chicken chain will be opening its first Michigan location in the space previously occupied by Cosí, and then Snap Pizza.

With 608 restaurants across 32 U.S. states, Raising Cane's is known for its chicken tenders and Cane's sauce.

In an interview with the Lansing State Journal in February, Raising's Cane's CEO and Chief Operating Officer AJ Kumaran said the company chose East Lansing as its first Michigan location due to requests from out-of-state MSU students that missed having the chain nearby.

Political theory and constitutional democracy senior Ian Earle said he's looking forward to having a location in-state.

"I love going into Raising Cane's whenever I'm visiting other states, so it's really cool that we're finally getting one near us," Earle said.

Some students speculate Raising Cane's could become a late-night stop for students leaving nearby bars, as most locations nationwide are open until midnight.

Raising Cane's is slated to open by September 2022, Kumaran said.

Goodfellas Bagel Deli — 245 Albert St.

Lansing bagel sandwich joint Goodfellas Bagel Deli is opening its second location in the former Poke Lab space between STIX and Mad Eagle Boutique.

Goodfellas has been a favorite in Lansing for years, serving an assortment of mafia-themed bagel sandwiches ranging from the turkey and spinach "Hitman Sandwich" to the black bean patty "Fugazi Sandwich."

Owner Adrian Joseph said they hope to open in summer 2022.

Michigan State University Federal Credit Union — 311 Abbot Rd.

MSUFCU's new location brings both banking services to downtown East Lansing and a new look to the city's skyline.

The seven-story building located next to Dublin Square will feature a credit union branch, ATM, community room and intern center. It will also replace the company's current location on E. Grand River Avenue.

MSUFCU Chief Marketing Officer Deidre Davis said the new building is a move to be a bigger part of downtown East Lansing.

"We have really always been interested in having a larger presence in downtown East Lansing," Davis said. "So this was an opportunity that would allow us to have a larger presence in the heart of downtown."

The location is planned to open in spring 2023, Davis said.

This story was featured in our graduation edition. Read the full issue here.

Editor's Note: This article was updated on April 28 to reflect the number of Detroit Wing Company's number of sauces being 20, not 19. Additionally, the assertion of East Lansing being the company's 13th location was removed.

Share and discuss “What's coming to downtown EL? Here are five places to look out for next year” on social media.