Person shot by ELPD officers in Lake Lansing Meijer parking lot

<p>East Lansing, Michigan State University and Lansing Township Police Departments block entrance to the Lake Lansing Meijer after a shooting occurred on Monday night. - April 25, 2022</p>

East Lansing, Michigan State University and Lansing Township Police Departments block entrance to the Lake Lansing Meijer after a shooting occurred on Monday night. - April 25, 2022

Photo by Chloe Trofatter | The State News

On April 25, the Clinton and Ingham County Public Safety scanner confirmed a shooting occurred in the parking lot of Meijer, located on Lake Lansing Road.

The East Lansing Police Department was at the scene.

Later that Monday, ELPD Chief Kim Johnson issued a statement, confirming the incident to be an officer-involved shooting at 1350 West Lake Lansing Road. 

“Officers with the East Lansing Police Department were dispatched to the Meijer store at 1350 West Lake Lansing Road in response to a weapons complaint,” Johnson said. “The caller indicated a male subject pulled a gun out of a car stop stuck in his pocket and went into the store.”

ELPD officers then arrived onto the scene and found an individual in the store matching the description given by the caller. 

“A foot pursuit ensued in the store between the individual and officers exiting the store,” Johnson said. 

The officers encountered the individual. Shots were fired outside. 

The individual was struck by the fired shots.

He was transported to a local hospital, where he is now in stable condition. 

There were no other injuries. 

The individual’s weapon was recovered at the scene and the scene is secure at this time.

Further descriptions of the individual and officers involved have not been released. 

In addition, per ELPD’s policy, the two officers are being placed on paid administrative leave. The investigation is being taken over by the Michigan State Police.

Assisting agencies at the scene included the Michigan State University Police Department, Lansing Police Department, Lansing Township Police Department, Meridian Township Police Department and Michigan State Police.

This is an ongoing investigation. 

This is a breaking story. Stay with The State News for updates. 

Raenu Charles contributed to the reporting of this article

Share and discuss “Person shot by ELPD officers in Lake Lansing Meijer parking lot” on social media.