MSU has no immediate plans to rescind campus mask mandate

<p>Statue of President John A. Hannah with a mask on in front of the Hannah Administration Building on Sept. 20, 2020.</p>

Statue of President John A. Hannah with a mask on in front of the Hannah Administration Building on Sept. 20, 2020.

Michigan State University has no immediate plans to rescind its campus-wide mask mandate, MSU deputy spokesperson Dan Olsen said.

“At this time, (we're) not planning at this point to rescind our indoor mask requirement,” Olsen said. “But always looking at public health measures to determine important safety measures as we need to add them or once those are able to be relaxed.”

On Thursday, Ingham County rescinded two emergency orders that included a mask requirement for the county's K-12 school districts.

Those orders did not apply to MSU, and the university mandate was put in place prior to the county orders.

Olsen said the university officials continue to have conversations with internal and external health experts to assess when it may be safe for MSU's mandate to be lifted.

“We have discussions about public health measures and the appropriate ones to do, and we try to stay close with our local and state health department leaders,” Olsen said. “Again, we'll take the measures that we think are most important to protect the Spartan community.”

Share and discuss “MSU has no immediate plans to rescind campus mask mandate” on social media.