Vaccine Exemptions at MSU: A guide through the process

<p>Illustration by Daena Faustino. </p>

Illustration by Daena Faustino.

In July 2021, Michigan State University announced a vaccine requirement for all students, staff, and faculty who were coming to campus for any reason.  

However, an alternative option was shared in August for those wishing to remain unvaccinated. 

MSU deputy spokesperson Dan Olsen explained the vaccine exemption process to be rather simple.  

“Students, when they go in to enter their vaccination information into the verification form, can seek an exemption – either a medical exemption, religious exemption, or for students an online-only exemption,” Olsen said.   

For medical purposes, you can use a provider letter from your physician explaining why you would be exempt from the vaccination for a medical purpose.

"In terms of a religious exemption, some of the information you may provide is the religion that prohibits you from receiving a vaccine, as well as prior documentation of exempting yourself from a vaccination," Olsen explained.  

University spokesperson, Emily Guerrant also had details to share surrounding the process.  

"For a religious exemption, students must describe in a few sentences or a short paragraph their religious beliefs and why they’re asking for a religious exemption," she said. 

In terms of students choosing to stay online-only, the university has to double-check the student’s learning status from their end.  

The student does, however, “have to apply a semester at a time” in the event that their circumstances change.  

“If somebody already has a religious, medical, or online-only exemption, they do not need to do anything with the booster requirement.”

According to Guerrant’s data, as of Monday, Dec. 6, 2021, 4,470 exemption requests have been submitted, 3,702 have been approved, 509 have been denied, and an additional 207 are pending an appeal. 

“There’s an appeal process for those that were denied,” said Olsen.  “The university will take another look at your exemption application.”

A Michigan State University Political Science freshman that entered the Fall semester requesting a vaccine exemption shared that all students with an exemption are required to register and participate in the early-detection program, which involves testing yourself once a week and submitting it to a drop-off location.  

There are drop-off locations in most residence halls. 

Additional information about vaccination requirements, exemption guidelines, and campus booster clinic locations can be found on MSU's Together We Will website.

Share and discuss “Vaccine Exemptions at MSU: A guide through the process” on social media.