On-campus arts events to require vaccination proof or negative COVID-19 test

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Michigan State University will start to require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to participate in on-campus arts and athletic events. The arts events will begin this policy on Jan. 4.

Arts events include performances of theatre, art and music. The policy will apply to ticketed events at the Wharton Center, Broad Art Museum and the Auditorium, as well as College of Music performances taking place at Fairchild Theatre, Alumni Memorial Chapel, Cook Recital Hall, Murray Hall and Hollander Hall.

Attendees 12 and older will need to bring their physical COVID-19 vaccination card or a digital image along with a photo ID matching the name on the card or a printout of their negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of the event start time. People aged 17 or younger accompanied by an adult will not be required to show an ID.

MSU students, faculty and staff can show their MSU ID instead as proof of compliance with the university-wide vaccine mandate.

"Efforts to keep the entire community safe are important," University spokesperson Emily Guerrant said. "Obviously our faculty and our students are at the core of who's on campus on a daily basis, but we are also part of a larger community around us with the city of East Lansing and Ingham County and we know that we have many, many people who are in the public who come to campus for a variety of reasons."

This announcement came shortly after MSU's decision to hold classes remotely for the first three weeks of the spring semester.

The MSU Museum will also be temporarily closed to the public until Jan. 31.

Share and discuss “On-campus arts events to require vaccination proof or negative COVID-19 test” on social media.