East Lansing takes on ESPN College Gameday and other pregame shows

<p>Michigan State and Michigan fans gathered with signs for the broadcast of ESPN&#x27;s College GameDay, which took place at Ralph Young Field at 9 a.m. Shot on Oct. 30, 2021. </p>

Michigan State and Michigan fans gathered with signs for the broadcast of ESPN's College GameDay, which took place at Ralph Young Field at 9 a.m. Shot on Oct. 30, 2021.

Photo by Lauren DeMay | The State News

The Michigan State Spartans defeated the Michigan Wolverines in a hard fought battle in East Lansing on Saturday. The bitter rivalry game drew in fans from both teams and major network coverage from ESPN College Gameday and Fox Big Noon Kickoff. 

Many fans woke up early for their chance to see the College Gameday show and get their sign shown on TV including University of Michigan kinesiology and business juniors, Baylor Wiggins and Nick Began. 

Even though Wiggins is from Oregon, he could feel the hatred in this rivalry from the moment he stepped on campus.

“I’m actually from Oregon so I haven’t grown up with this rivalry like a lot of people but all I’ll say is that I kind of understood it pretty quickly even though I'm not from in state that there's a pretty big hatred,” Wiggins said. Despite this hatred, he didn’t expect Michigan to dominate. "I’m gonna give respect where it’s due. I think it’s gonna be a close game the entire time.”

At the front of the College Gameday line though, was MSU alumni Colton Wood who had camped out since midnight.

“It feels like Christmas morning you know I’ve never really been this excited for a game in awhile you know just two undefeated teams especially with the rivalry it kind of means a lot it’s definitely gonna be interesting the atmosphere is gonna be incredible,” Wood said. “As far as gameday and everything like that, I don’t think we've ever had Fox and ESPN come to two things so the world’s looking at us right now so hopefully Michigan State comes out and prevails.”

Cameron Sjoberg, a political science-prelaw junior at MSU was also at the front of the line to get into the College Gameday fan pit line and gave his thoughts on the game.

“For us it’s a huge deal. I don't know about Michigan fans, maybe they care more about Ohio State, but for us this is a huge deal," Sjoberg said. "This game specifically I think this is a once in a lifetime game, both 7-0, both top 10, College Gameday coming is also a once in a lifetime opportunity. I think this is incredible. I wouldn't have stayed up all night and gotten here at 2:30 (a.m.) if that weren’t the case."

Fans felt confident that their team would be the ones who would emerge victorious on Saturday, like Began who thought this would be a blowout.

“I got Michigan by at least 17 today, we’re gonna bottle up Kenneth Walker and Blake Corum is gonna run wild and J.J. McCarthy is gonna see some serious game time today. Michigan's winning by a ton,” he predicted. 

Sidney Randolph, a business sophomore at U of M wasn’t as confident.

“Honestly I’m a little bit worried about the game. Michigan State’s pretty good right now. We’re both undefeated, but I also have the feeling that we’re both not as good as our records say, but Michigan State’s a pretty good team they’re 7-0 which is really good right now, and it should be a really good game ... I don’t know if we're gonna win,” he said. 

Despite all the talk, Michigan State handed Michigan their first loss of the season and remain undefeated as they head into the tenth week of the college football season.

Share and discuss “East Lansing takes on ESPN College Gameday and other pregame shows” on social media.