Michigan State remains in AP top ten after close road win over Indiana

<p>Michigan State senior and junior cornerbacks, Ronald Williams Jr. and Chester Kimbrough, celebrate a change of possession. The Spartans found a way to hold on against the Hoosiers with a 20-15 win scraping to their first 7-0 start since 2015 on Oct. 16, 2021.</p>

Michigan State senior and junior cornerbacks, Ronald Williams Jr. and Chester Kimbrough, celebrate a change of possession. The Spartans found a way to hold on against the Hoosiers with a 20-15 win scraping to their first 7-0 start since 2015 on Oct. 16, 2021.

Photo by Devin Anderson-Torrez | The State News

Michigan State Head Coach Mel Tucker and Michigan State Football's improbable march continues, as the team moves up to No. 9 in the AP Poll after a hard-fought road win over Indiana.

The Hoosiers looked to pull off the upset on homecoming after a disappointing 2-3 start to the season, but the Spartans ultimately overcame their offensive woes to take back the brass spittoon in a gritty 20-15 victory.

Iowa was the only top ten team that lost Saturday, after a stunning home loss to the Purdue Boilermakers, and tumbled down to No. 11. The Big Ten still has four teams in the top ten.

In the USA Today Coaches Poll, the Spartans were ranked seventh and were also ranked eighth in the Student Media Poll.

Here is where the teams stand through eight weeks of the college football season:

1. Georgia

2. Cincinnati

3. Oklahoma

4. Alabama

5. Ohio State

6. Michigan

7. Penn State

8. Oklahoma State

9. Michigan State

10. Oregon

11. Iowa

12. Ole Miss

13. Notre Dame

14. Coastal Carolina

15. Kentucky

16. Wake Forest

17. Texas A & M

18. North Carolina State

19. Auburn

20. Baylor

21. SMU

22. San Diego State

23. Pittsburgh

24. UTSA

25. Purdue

Share and discuss “Michigan State remains in AP top ten after close road win over Indiana” on social media.