Bus route guide for Spartans

A CATA bus pulls into a stop in East Lansing on Sept. 18, 2020. The transportation service has new signage and is taking precautions to keep people safe.
A CATA bus pulls into a stop in East Lansing on Sept. 18, 2020. The transportation service has new signage and is taking precautions to keep people safe. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Starting Aug. 30, Spartans will be able to ride on-campus bus routes for free. 

The Capital Area Transportation Authority, or CATA, has six bus routes dedicated to Michigan State University. They operate seven days a week from 7 a.m. until 2:30 a.m.

Weekday bus routes:

Route 30 travels  from west campus to east campus. It is most known for making stops at South Neighborhood and East Neighborhood.

Route 31 travels from Brody Neighborhood to East Neighborhood, taking a northern route. It passes by the MSU Library, the Auditorium and Grand River Avenue. 

Route 32 transports commuting students from the Commuter Lot to the northern part of campus. Its notable stops are at Snyder-Phillips Hall and the Clinical Center. 

Route 33 goes from North to South Neighborhood. This bus route stops at 10:30 p.m.

Route 38 takes riders from Spartan Village to campus and Route 39 travels from University Village to campus. 

CATA’s Lot Link transports passengers between Lots 80, 83, Commuter Lots 89 and 91 and other campus locations upon request from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. Lot Link also serves Spartan Village Monday through Friday.

After Lot Link concludes services, CATA’s Night Owl bus will take riders from any two MSU campus locations upon request from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m.

Riders can call (517) 432-8888 to make a request for a student-discounted ride of $0.60. Regular fare is $1.25 or riders can use a bus pass to access the Lot Link and Night Owl.

Buses for the weekend:

On the weekends, three routes service campus riders from 9 a.m. until 2:30 a.m.

Route 34 goes from Brody Neighborhood to University Village. It passes by North Neighborhood and Grand River Avenue. 

Route 35 goes through South Neighborhood and Spartan Village. It also stops near Munn Ice Arena and Spartan Stadium.

Route 36 covers the east side of campus, going from the main boarding center to East Neighborhood. 

For riders who cannot use the fixed routes due to disabilities, CATA operates Spec-Tran on campus 7 days a week. Passengers who need this service are eligible for free passes through MSU’s Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities

Masks will be required on all bus routes and inside CATA facilities, regardless of vaccination status. Masks are not required while waiting for a bus outside of CATA facilities or at a bus stop.

All buses can be tracked on the Transit app, Google Maps for Androids and Maps for iPhones. It will show arrival times to specific locations and allow riders to put in two locations to figure out the best routes available to get from one location to the other.

These routes will begin and end at the main boarding center, or CATA station, across from Shaw Hall. The facility has indoor seating, bus schedules and maps, restrooms, vending machines, an ATM and access to MSU’s Ramp 1 parking structure.

Share and discuss “Bus route guide for Spartans” on social media.