MSU updates COVID-19 dashboard, new data on vaccines, testing, early detection

<p>After a spike in cases among students in East Lansing, President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. urged the students, faculty and staff to sign up for a COVID-19 early detection program called Spartan Spit. Elements of the Spartan Spit kit photographed above on Sept. 14, 2020.</p>

After a spike in cases among students in East Lansing, President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. urged the students, faculty and staff to sign up for a COVID-19 early detection program called Spartan Spit. Elements of the Spartan Spit kit photographed above on Sept. 14, 2020.

Michigan State University updated its COVID-19 Dashboard Sept. 9, following the Aug. 31 deadline to fill out the MSU COVID-19 vaccine verification form and request any exemptions. 

The update includes the number of positive COVID-19 cases tracked through MSU’s Early Detection Program and other means. The update also includes the percentage of students, staff and faculty who self-reported their vaccination status via the MSU COVID-19 vaccine verification form, as well as the Daily Housing Statistics for on-campus residents in isolation or quarantine. 

"The university is aware of 129 cases of COVID-19 among students and 49 cases among faculty and staff since the week of Aug. 2," reads the Dashboard summary at the top of the page.

“Right now, we included the summary of total cases that the University is aware of through our Early Detection Program, symptomatic testing through Olin [Health Center] and then self-reports to the COVID Triage Line,” MSU Deputy Spokesperson Dan Olsen said.

The Dashboard summary is set to be updated weekly. Information will be eventually embedded into the Dashboard itself, according to Olsen. The reports are run Monday through Sunday.

The first section of the Dashboard is titled “MSU Self-Reported Vaccinations” and consists of data from students, staff and faculty who reported their vaccine status via the MSU COVID-19 verification form. 

According to Olsen, nearly 60,300 students, staff and faculty completed the verification form.

“That number will change as we work to get folks into compliance,” Olsen said. “The vaccine percentages may fluctuate a little bit as we’re working through the discipline process, as folks do become in compliant to avoid discipline that those numbers may fluctuate a little bit over time.”

Of the students, faculty and staff who self-reported, 90.19% were fully vaccinated, 8.56% were partially vaccinated and 1.25% were not vaccinated but were either granted an exemption or were going through the exemption process. 

Olsen said the people who did not respond to the verification form are going through proper discipline processes and were not counted in the Dashboard percentages. 

The next section of the Dashboard regards MSU’s Early Detection Program. According to the Dashboard, EDP testing is mandatory for students, staff and faculty who received vaccine exemptions, but it also includes individuals who select to participate. 

“What you have here is the weekly detected cases from that program [the EDP],” Olsen said. “You’ve got the positivity rate and you’ve got the weekly tests at the bottom, that’s the total number of tests administered.”

Daily Housing Statistics are also visible on the Dashboard. As of Sept. 9, the number of on-campus residents in isolation is 50, while the number of on-campus residents in quarantine is 16. The combined percentage of on-campus residents in isolation and on-campus students in quarantine is 0.45%. 

Olsen said all on-campus students in isolation have a confirmed case of COVID-19, regardless of their vaccination status, and on-campus students who are in quarantine have been identified as having been in known close contact with someone who has COVID-19. 

According to Olsen, the 16 students in quarantine have not, at this point, tested positive for COVID-19. 

“CDC recommends getting the test 3 to 5 days after your exposure,” Olsen said. “They [the students] could be also waiting for a test result, too. They may have already taken a test and they’re just waiting for that result, or they’re still in that window where they’re a couple days from their exposure, before they get a test.”

(8:03) Olsen said Daily Housing Statistics and Early Detection Program numbers will be updated daily.

The Dashboard also includes information on reporting, testing, quarantining, isolating and contact tracing. 

Share and discuss “MSU updates COVID-19 dashboard, new data on vaccines, testing, early detection” on social media.