MSU offers 20 cash prizes of $1,000 as vaccine incentive

<p>Journalism junior Maddie Monroe is handed her vaccine card and a sticker after getting the COVID-19 vaccine on March 29, 2021.</p>

Journalism junior Maddie Monroe is handed her vaccine card and a sticker after getting the COVID-19 vaccine on March 29, 2021.

Photo by Devin Anderson-Torrez | The State News

Michigan State University will be giving out cash prizes of $1,000 to 20 Spartans that have filled out the university’s mandatory student vaccination status survey, according to a university press release.

The survey was sent out to students on July 22 via email, and responses are required by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 6. Winners will be drawn and notified by email in late August. All students 18 years and older that are enrolled in at least one course at MSU are eligible to participate in the drawing.

The survey asks students if they have received at least one dose of an FDA-authorized or WHO-approved vaccine for COVID-19. Students that fill out the survey but are not vaccinated may update the survey upon completing the survey again by Aug. 6. 

“The information gathered during this survey, in addition to nonidentifiable information already on file with the university, will be essential for our planning as we approach the fall semester,” the email said. 

The press release said that this initiative is part of the university’s wider continued efforts to promote and encourage vaccinations among the Spartan community. 

“A safe and effective COVID-19 vaccination is the best action Spartans can take to protect themselves, their loved ones and our community,” MSU President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. said in the press release.

Friday afternoon, MSU announced the decision to require COVID-19 vaccines for the upcoming school year. While all students, staff and faculty — minus those who receive exemptions for religious or medical reasons — will be required to receive the vaccine, the 20 prizes will still be given out.

Vaccine appointments and providers can be found at vaccines.gov or at the MSU Health Care Pharmacy.

Share and discuss “MSU offers 20 cash prizes of $1,000 as vaccine incentive” on social media.