No new cases for the first time in a year, Ingham County Health Official reports

<p>This illustration, created at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. Note the spikes that adorn the outer surface of the virus, which impart the look of a corona surrounding the virion, when viewed by electron microscope. A novel coronavirus, named Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), was identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China in 2019. The illness caused by this virus has been named coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Alissa Eckert, MS; Dan Higgins, MAMS</p>

This illustration, created at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. Note the spikes that adorn the outer surface of the virus, which impart the look of a corona surrounding the virion, when viewed by electron microscope. A novel coronavirus, named Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), was identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China in 2019. The illness caused by this virus has been named coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Alissa Eckert, MS; Dan Higgins, MAMS

Ingham County Health Department, or ICHD, held a meeting Tuesday afternoon to provide updates on COVID-19 within the county.

As of Jun. 15, 2021, the department has 22,683 confirmed cases and 376 deaths. Ingham County Health Officer Linda Vail said the county currently has 263 active cases with a case fatality rate of 1.7%.

Major strides are being made in terms of vaccination updates.

"When we look at our vaccine update, we currently have 143,839 Ingham County residents age 16 and up who have received at least one dose," Vail said. "That is 59.6%, so we too are about to hit the 60% number that the state just hit two or three days ago."

Ingham County has given 137,852 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. Vail said that 37,233 individuals who have received one dose are 65 and over. That is roughly 97.7% of Ingham County's 65 and older population.

Today also marks the first time since June 2020 with no new reported cases of COVID-19 in the county.

"We had no new cases reported to us today and we should expect very few numbers of new cases outside of potential small outbreaks...which will paticularly happen among unvaccinated people," Vail said.

The next meeting will take place Thursday, June 17 at 3:30 p.m on Zoom.

For more information, visit the Ingham County Health Department website here.

Share and discuss “No new cases for the first time in a year, Ingham County Health Official reports” on social media.