Board of Trustees meeting June 18 covers budget, faculty grievance policy

<p> The Hannah Administration Building on Aug. 23, 2019, in East Lansing.  </p>

The Hannah Administration Building on Aug. 23, 2019, in East Lansing.

Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

Michigan State University's Board of Trustees will discuss the 2021-22 budget at their June 18 meeting at 8 a.m. via Zoom.

The Committee on Budget and Finances will recommend guidelines for tuition, housing and dining rates. This budget comes after an approximately $300 million loss for the 2020-21 fiscal year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

During the 2020-21 year, the university implemented multiple financial cuts, including professor wages, capital projects and retirement plans. With COVID-19 cases flatlining as vaccine efforts sweep the country and a preliminary plan to hold 75% of fall courses on campus during the 2021-22 academic year, it's possible that MSU can make up some of the loss.

Currently, the total tuition and fees for an in-state freshman, including room and board fees, is $25,046 per academic year, according to the MSU admissions website. For out-of-state freshmen, the cost increases to $50,352. International freshmen can expect to pay $59,830.

The Committee on Academic Affairs, which includes Board Chair Dianne Byrum, Trustee Renee Knake Jefferson, Trustee Kelly Tebay and Trustee Rema Vassar, will also present revisions to the Faculty Grievance Policy.

"This Policy is intended to provide a fair, internal process for resolving employment-related disputes that arise between faculty or academic staff members and administrators," the resolution reads. "The formal procedures described in this Policy are intended to be used only when matters cannot be resolved informally."

The University Committee on Faculty Affairs approved the revisions Feb. 3, the Faculty Senate on April 20 and the University Council on April 27, according to the resolution.

Later, the Committee on Audit, Risk and Compliance, which includes Knake Jefferson, Trustee Patrick O'Keefe and Trustee Brianna Scott, will recommend that the Board approves a contract between MSU and Nordisch, LLC to update materials in the Engineering Building. The Committee of Student Life and Culture will also present a report.

The meeting is open to the public to view here. Participants can request to address the Board no later than 48 hours before the meeting start time.

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees meeting June 18 covers budget, faculty grievance policy” on social media.