Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer apologizes after breaking her own COVID-19 health order

<p>Courtesy image of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer at the Capitol on Oct. 8, 2020, provided by Michigan executive office of the governor.</p>

Courtesy image of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer at the Capitol on Oct. 8, 2020, provided by Michigan executive office of the governor.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer apologized on Sunday after a photo was released showing her violating her own COVID-19 executive orders.

Breitbart News Network, a conservative news service, first released the photo, which was taken at LandShark Bar and Grill in East Lansing.

In the photograph, Whitmer was seen at a table with 12 individuals, none of which were wearing a mask or six feet apart from one another. Whitmer's friends posted the photos of the group on social media, one of which included Chief Operating Officer Tricia Foster.

Whitmer released an updated health order on May 15 that, according to the Michigan Government website, stated, "Consumption of food or beverages is permitted only where patrons are seated, groups of patrons are separated by at least 6 feet, no more than 6 patrons are seated at a table, and groups of patrons do not intermingle."

"Throughout the pandemic, I've been committed to following public health protocols," Whitmer said in a statement as reported by the Detroit Free Press. "Yesterday, I went with friends to a local restaurant. As more people arrived, the tables were pushed together. Because we were all vaccinated, we didn't stop to think about it. In retrospect, I should have thought about it. I am human. I made a mistake, and I apologize."

Share and discuss “Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer apologizes after breaking her own COVID-19 health order” on social media.