MSU Student Affairs and Services Division conducts student feedback survey

<p>The Student Services Building at MSU on Oct. 26, 2020.</p>

The Student Services Building at MSU on Oct. 26, 2020.

Photo by Lauren Snyder | The State News

MSU’s Student Affairs and Services Division, which includes the Career Services Network and the Deptartment of Student Life, recently finished conducting a survey that allowed students to offer feedback on the Division as a whole.

The survey was sent out to all MSU students via email. The aim of the survey was for the Division of Student Affairs and Services at MSU to assess its "strengths, challenges, limitations, and potential future,” according to the email. The survey closed on Friday, March 19.

“We did want to know, as a baseline, if students had heard about the Division of Student Affairs and Services,” Patricia Marin, chair of the Program Review for the Division said. “We did ask if they had heard of the various units within the division and if they had interacted with them.”

For example, one question on the survey asks students if they thought the Division promotes student involvement.

The Student Affairs and Services Division comprises 13 units, which range from the Gender and Sexuality Campus Center to MSU’s student radio station, Impact 89FM.

The Division aims to serve the needs of students through its units. Marin said that many students are unclear on what is part of the Division and what isn’t or that students don’t know how to access its many resources. These reasons are a few of the motivations behind the survey.

Despite the many units within the Division, the survey attempted to gain an understanding of student’s opinions on the Division as a whole. The survey allowed students to rate statements like “the Division of Student Affairs and Services supports my academic success” on a scale ranging from “strongly agree” to “strongly disagree.”

The survey also asked about the Student Services building, which is located at 556 E Circle Drive in East Lansing.

“We wanted to ask if students had heard of the building, if they had been to the building and how they felt about the building,” Marin said. “Is SSB conveniently located on campus? Does it have a welcoming environment? And is it a place that students feel comfortable spending time?”

The survey also included an option for students to meet with Marin one-on-one in case students wished to emphasize or expand on their answers in the survey or to provide additional information.

Students that responded to the survey were automatically entered into a drawing for an Amazon gift card. MSU students Dang Huy, Kasidy Higgins and Elizabeth Gbogi were selected as winners.

Share and discuss “MSU Student Affairs and Services Division conducts student feedback survey” on social media.