2021 Izzo Legacy Event scheduled for early October

<p>MSU mascot Sparty gets ready to give a high five during the ninth annual Max’s race 5K on June 29, 2013, outside the Auditorium.</p>

MSU mascot Sparty gets ready to give a high five during the ninth annual Max’s race 5K on June 29, 2013, outside the Auditorium.

Photo by Weston Brooks | The State News

The Izzo Legacy Event, the 5K Run/Walk/Roll, which was canceled last year due to the coronavirus, has finally been rescheduled for Oct. 9. The race committee is planning to continue following the guidelines of the university, city, state and public health officials.

The Izzo Legacy Family Fund, which is a registered non-profit, was created by Tom Izzo and Lupe Izzo in order to formalize their commitment to the community they have called home all this time.

This year, the Izzo family has partnered with Playmakers in order to host the experience on Michigan State University's campus. Their mission is to connect alumni in the MSU and Mid-Michigan communities in celebration of the men's head basketball coach.

"Tom and I have certainly been blessed to be a part of this community and we feel a genuine obligation to give back to the ... communities that have become such a large part of our lives," Lupe Izzo said. "One of the reasons we’ve never left Michigan State is the connection to our community."

The events offered include a 5K run/walk, a 5K roll, a one mile walk, children's races and a virtual 5K. All are meant to focus on embodying the Spartan spirit through fitness, fun and family.

Registration will open on Aug. 1. If participants were already registered for the 2020 or April 2021 events, then their registration has been transferred to the event on Oct. 9, according to the official website.

All proceeds from the event will create an endowment for the fund that will ensure charitable giving for coming years. In addition, however, participants can donate to select local charities through the registration process or the donate page.

Fans who donate $1,000 to one or more of the selected local charities will be acknowledged on the donor banner displayed at the event.

"I hope that the lessons that we learn are to appreciate what we have, respect the decisions that are made in the best interest of everybody... And try your hardest to take advantage of every day you're on the Earth," Tom Izzo said.

Share and discuss “2021 Izzo Legacy Event scheduled for early October” on social media.