Preview: MSU looks forward to rematch at Purdue

<p>Sophomore forward Julius Marble II (34) dunks over Purdue defenders during the Spartans&#x27; 55-54 loss to Purdue on Jan. 8, 2021.</p>

Sophomore forward Julius Marble II (34) dunks over Purdue defenders during the Spartans' 55-54 loss to Purdue on Jan. 8, 2021.

Photo by Devin Anderson-Torrez | The State News

After an embarrassing 30-point loss at home to now-No. 11 Iowa, the Michigan State men's basketball team (10-8, 4-8 Big Ten) is hitching a ride down to West Lafayette, Indiana for one of two road games this week in the state: a much-needed second-chance rematch against Purdue (13-8, 8-6 Big Ten).

"When you come off a game like we did Saturday, I think the best thing that you can do is to play another game and that's what we get to do," Head Coach Tom Izzo said to the media Monday afternoon.

The Spartans enter Tuesday night looking to get back on the right track.

The last time they played the Boilermakers was Jan. 8 at the Breslin Center, where they blew a double-digit lead in the closing seconds as Trevion Williams' jumper fell.

"Matt (Painter)'s done a good job with his team," Izzo said. "I think he's always been one of the best coaches in this league. They've balanced some young guys with old guys and, of course, Williams is a stud. He's been a stud since he's been there, he keeps getting better and better — he's a double-double machine."

Williams leads the Boilermakers in scoring and rebounding averaging 15.8 points and 9.6 rebounds per game, but four Boilermaker freshmen have earned Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors — the most in league history.

The Spartans have a few players scoring in double figures consistently, including Joshua Langford, who reached the 1,000-point mark in his career against Penn State, and Aaron Henry who averages 14.3 points a game.

Rocket Watts is sick and although he's continued to test negative for COVID-19, Izzo thinks he has the flu. He hasn't practiced at all, but is available for the game regardless, Izzo told the media Monday. Foster Loyer's left shoulder was damaged at Nebraska a couple weeks back and was re-injured against Penn State last week and he's questionable for Tuesday night's game.

MSU's struggles at Mackey Arena could continue

The Boilermakers have won six of the last nine meetings and the last four meetings at Mackey Arena.

However, they have lost three of their last five games. The most recent being a 71-68 loss at Minnesota. But during the month of February, Purdue has shot a meager 24.6% from the arc but during their three games this month, Purdue is shooting above 44% from the field.

Purdue sits at 6th in the Big Ten Conference standings, still on the hunt for a Big Ten Tournament double-bye and NCAA Tournament top-five seed, as they enter the final stretch of their regular-season schedule.

The Spartans are ranked 11th in the Big Ten Conference standings and have five more scheduled games left on their regular-season schedule before the Big Ten Tournament kicks off in early March. The Spartans likely, per reports, will play Michigan twice at the regular seasons' end.

"We were 12-9 a couple (of) years ago with a very good team and we lost all those players to injury and found a way," Izzo said in regard to the regular season winding down. "I just want to get us playing better."

Tipoff for Tuesday is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Mackey Arena and the game will be broadcast on ESPN.

Share and discuss “Preview: MSU looks forward to rematch at Purdue” on social media.