Preview: Men's hoops hosts No. 4 Ohio State

<p>Freshman guard A.J. Hoggard (11) makes an attempt to score but Ohio State&#x27;s Musa Jallow (2) blocks it in the first half. The Buckeyes swept the Spartans, 79-62, at OSU&#x27;s Schottenstein Center on Jan. 31, 2021.</p>

Freshman guard A.J. Hoggard (11) makes an attempt to score but Ohio State's Musa Jallow (2) blocks it in the first half. The Buckeyes swept the Spartans, 79-62, at OSU's Schottenstein Center on Jan. 31, 2021.

Photo by Lauren DeMay | The State News

Just 48 hours after Michigan State toppled over No. 5 Illinois, the Spartans will hit the Breslin court again, this time to host No. 4 Ohio State. Tipoff is set for 9 p.m., and fans can view the game on ESPN.

The meeting at the Breslin will be the second between these two squads. On Jan. 31 the two met in Columbus, a game that Ohio State won 79-62.

In that match, Michigan State shot .321, their third-lowest overall FG percentage this season behind their performance at Minnesota and second game against Rutgers. But in recent games, MSU has found a different offensive rhythm, one that Head Coach Tom Izzo said may change the trajectory of Thursday night's game.

"We're probably a little different because we've made some shots," Izzo said. "... Lineup changes are one thing, but I think some of our key players are playing at a different level too."

Another difference for the Spartans will be the addition of junior forward Gabe Brown, who didn't make the trip to Columbus with the Spartans in January after testing positive for COVID-19. Since returning on Feb. 6, Brown has averaged 8 points per game with double-digit performances against Iowa and Indiana.

Ohio State, on the other hand, will have to adjust to the absence of senior forward Kyle Young. According to reports, Young will sit out of the game against MSU due to concussion protocol.

Young put up six points and grabbed seven rebounds against MSU on Jan. 31. Izzo, prior to the news, described Young as the "glue" to OSU's team.

"(Duane) Washington has been playing very well, and (E.J.) Liddell has played extremely well," Izzo said. "As I said the other kid I think is the glue to their whole team, him and Young."

OSU has gone 4-1 since they saw MSU last, falling only to No. 3 Michigan on Feb. 21. Michigan State has gone 5-3 since their time in Columbus, falling to twice to Iowa and once to Purdue.

"It's going to be fun," Izzo said. "What an opportunity. We won two in a row. It's been a tough year. We get a home game against one of the best teams in the whole country, that is an opportunity."

Share and discuss “Preview: Men's hoops hosts No. 4 Ohio State ” on social media.