Breaking: Michigan State head basketball coach Tom Izzo tests positive for COVID-19

<p>Head basketball coach Tom Izzo speaks at the introductory press conference for new head football coach Mel Tucker at the Breslin Student Events Center on Feb. 12, 2020.</p>

Head basketball coach Tom Izzo speaks at the introductory press conference for new head football coach Mel Tucker at the Breslin Student Events Center on Feb. 12, 2020.

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

Michigan State head basketball coach Tom Izzo has tested positive for COVID-19, according to a release from Michigan State athletics.

“This morning I tested positive for COVID-19,” Izzo said in a press release. “Although I have some minor symptoms, I remain in good health. I’ve been extremely diligent for many months now, wearing my mask in public and around the office, while adhering to social distancing guidelines. I’ve been racking my brain, trying to figure out if there was a time where I let my guard down for just an instance. And while I haven’t identified any area of exposure, what I have determined is that this shows the power of the virus. You’d be hard pressed to find a coach who’s taken more precautions than I have, following all the protocols put in place by our medical team, and yet I still contracted the virus.”

According to the release, Izzo had a presumptive positive test after participating in the Big Ten’s daily antigen testing program. A PCR test confirmed the positive antigen test.

Per CDC and Big Ten guidelines, Izzo can return to team activities following a 10-day quarantine after the onset of symptoms, which on Saturday, according to the release. In the meantime, associate head coach Dwayne Stephens will run the practices in-person while Izzo remains engaged virtually.

“Technology will allow me to stay connected with my staff and our players, and I’ll have plenty of time to watch film,” Izzo said. “I’ll listen to our outstanding medical staff, and follow their directions and take all the steps necessary to return as soon as possible.”

Izzo urged everyone to continue to remain vigilant in preventing the spread of COVID-19.

“I appreciate the support from my family, my team and the Michigan State fan base, but if I could ask for one favor, I’d urge everyone to continue to listen to the medical experts and follow their advice,” Izzo said. “I’m proof that no one is immune, but I still believe that there are steps everyone can take to reduce their chances of contracting the virus.”

Share and discuss “Breaking: Michigan State head basketball coach Tom Izzo tests positive for COVID-19” on social media.