Michigan State football looking to avoid let down heading into Iowa

<p>MSU Head Coach Mel Tucker applauds after his offense scored a touchdown in the first half of the game against U of M in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Oct. 31, 2020.</p>

MSU Head Coach Mel Tucker applauds after his offense scored a touchdown in the first half of the game against U of M in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Oct. 31, 2020.

Photo by Alyte Katilius | The State News

Michigan State Head Coach Mel Tucker wants to focus on what is ahead rather than the past. After a stunning win against Michigan last Saturday, MSU is looking to avoid a let down as they travel to Iowa this weekend.

“Our players know that we've got a 24-hour rule, and then we move on to what's next,” Tucker said. "What we do next is based upon what we did in the game, things that we have to correct and things we need to build upon.”

Tucker looks to utilize that 24-hour rule to focus on the Hawkeyes. In the Mark Dantonio era, the Spartans were 7-1 in their games after a win against Michigan, granted the matchup is usually placed later in the schedule.

“We have to move on to the next opponent,” Tucker said. “I've been in rivalry games before. I have won rivalry games. They're major accomplishments, and they're important certainly for everyone that's involved, the current players, our former players, our fans and our alumni. At some point, you have to move on to what's next. As the head football coach, I have to set the tone.”

MSU quarterback Rocky Lombardi says it could be easy to celebrate, but they have to turn the page and focus especially since Tuesday was an off day due to the election.

“As soon as the game was over, you celebrated that night and once you wake up Sunday morning, it's Iowa week,” Lombardi said. "... For me, turning the page is easy, but I'm sure for some of those guys getting out on Sunday would definitely help make it a little bit more of a reality.”

Michigan State running back Connor Heyward has become a leader in the locker room this year and doesn’t want to get too excited heading into a tough matchup with Iowa.

“Iowa is a great football team,” Heyward said. "They're a team that's very disciplined, so we have to be sharp on all sides of the ball, on offense, defense and even special teams. They're going to be where they need to be. We have to be where we need to be, so don't get too high and don't get too low. Obviously, we just had a super high moment — a great victory — but you have to move on to the next.”

One of the positives that comes from the Michigan game is a sense of confidence in themselves. After a strong performance last week, cornerback Kalon Gervin says that confidence is a huge factor for the team moving forward.

“I think everyone just believes,” Gervin said. “Everyone on the team just believes in everybody. That’s most important on defense, trusting your guys. Coach Tucker always talks about doing your job. Not worrying about everything else, understanding that you have to do my duties, and everything else will take care of itself.”

Moving on from an emotional win takes discipline, which Tucker thinks is crucial for the way he builds his program.

“Good discipline is critical to have a functional and successful program,” Tucker said. “This is built to last. Discipline is doing what you're supposed to do, when you're supposed to do it, the way you're supposed to do it and understand why it's important to do it that way. That's discipline.”

There is a motivation for this upcoming game in Iowa for a few players, including Lombardi, who is from Clive, Iowa.

“It'll be really good,” Lombardi said. "My mom doesn't get to come to a lot of games because ... I have four other siblings that are all busy, all involved in sports. My sisters are in state volleyball this week, and they've been in state volleyball for every year that I've been in college. She's been very busy, so it'll be nice to have her come to the game, and my sisters going get to come see me play. It doesn't really happen that often, so that'll be emotional for me. This is a real homecoming for me. I've had this game circled since I committed here as a junior in high school.”

Tucker expressed his satisfaction in his quarterback's ability to lead into this upcoming matchup.

“He's excited, but he's up for meetings," Tucker said. "He's up for practices, and he loves football. I have heard him express to our team that he knows that this game is going to be a physical game and we got to get better this week in practice.”

The Hawkeyes come into this game winless, but are always a stout, physical football team that has remained a consistent force in the Big Ten Conference.

“They've been the same for 15 years,” Lombardi said. “You're going to get tough defense, you're going to get a defense who knows where they're going to be, knows their assignment and they're not going to make mistakes. They're going to be solid all around. They have a lot of good players. I know their record doesn't show it, but they have a talented team, and they're always ready to go. They're always going to be tough to beat, especially at home.”

Share and discuss “Michigan State football looking to avoid let down heading into Iowa” on social media.