Wednesday, May 1, 2024

EL City Council approves extension of the emergency order and downtown mask order

The East Lansing City Council via Zoom at their Nov. 10, 2020 meeting.

East Lansing City Council unanimously approved the resolution extending the emergency ordinance and downtown mask order Tuesday night.

Both this order and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services's gatherings and face mask orders require masks to be worn at all times in public spaces in the DDA district, both indoors and outdoors. A violation of this order qualifies as a civil infraction, punishable by a fine up to $25.

During the meeting, Mayor Pro Tem Jessy Gregg commented on the need for residents to speak up if they see any health code violations and her gratitude for law enforcement.

"I specifically wanted to offer my appreciation to our police officers for the way that they've been going after these health code violations," Gregg said in the meeting.

Mayor Aaron Stephens also commented on this issue and asked for community members to call in these violations if seen.

Those who are younger than five years old are not required to wear a mask, as well as people who cannot medically tolerate a mask, those who are seated at a table/food service establishment and are eating or drinking and those who are exercising when wearing a mask would interfere with the activity.

The DDA district has installed signs at entry points as well as throughout the downtown area and inside parking garages to notify visitors that masks are required in these areas.

The DDA has also implemented a downtown mask ambassador program, which encourages community members to wear a mask during high traffic times and hands them out for free.

The State of Emergency order and the order requiring face coverings will remain in effect through Dec. 21, 2020.

"We have dozens in the hospital currently due to COVID, but we've also seen an increased amount of deaths, we've seen an increased amount of spread even within East Lansing and the truth is that again the vast majority of people that are doing the right thing and the god honest truth is that I haven't seen a community come together in the way that I have seen in East Lansing," Mayor Stephens said in the meeting.

Share and discuss “EL City Council approves extension of the emergency order and downtown mask order” on social media.